Making your own labels, any advice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aleforge

Reaction score
I want to make up some labels for my next batch it's something that I have never done before. I remember reading something in the past about sticking some on with a soapy solution (my memory is bad) so that they were easy to get off. I am currently looking around for something to use.

Any suggestions?

I use milk. Print your labels on the paper of your choice, cut them out, put some milk on a small plate (just a little bit). I then place about half of the label just on top of the milk, an edge will curl up. Grab that edge and gently drag the rest of the label over the top of the milk to cover the back side of it. Then place the label on the bottle and wipe the excess milk off with a paper towel. I start in the middle and wipe out towards the edges.

The milk will dry and the lactose in the milk acts as a glue. Just get the label wet and they'll come right off. The only down side to this method is you can't place the bottles in a cooler of water/ice as the labels will come off, but it works great for the fridge.

I am thinking about getting some labels made, too. I figure that I'd like reusable ones that work with recipes that I make frequently. I make milk/oatmeal stouts, a rhubarb saision, and munich malt heavy lagers, so I think I'd get the most use out of labels that work with those. Now I just need to find someone artistic to make some designs.

Yeah, I use printer paper all the time. Well, I don't really bottle all that often anymore, but when I did I used printer paper. We've got a color laser printer in the office at work that I can use for labels, no one minds, so that helps too. Not sure what would happen with an inkjet. It just so happens that I was asked to bottle some beer as a Christmas gift so I have a recent example of the finished product, printer paper and all (don't mind the crappy label, I was given a very specific request for it, not my finest work).

Label Example.jpg

Last edited:
I've used Avery Labels from my work. They stick on well, but can be hard to get off if you want to reuse the bottle. Real easy to use though, just type in the Avery Product number in Microsoft Word, it generates the template, then copy and paste!

I don't think there is a spark for Linux. I'd have to go with The Gimp.

It isn't a question of software, though, I'm just not very artistic.

Ya I use Gimp also, always have as it's free. Everyone CAN be artistic... at the very least you could find an image that you like and slap it down with some text. Not that I am some kind motivational speaker... Just a parent who hangs up artwork (on the fridge). ;)

I use Canva to make my labels and then go to a printing service, where I print them on self-adhesive, glossy paper. It is somewhat cheap for 40 bottles.

Latest labels look like this:

Those look great Haze! How easy do they come off? I am guessing they will with an overnight soak?

I've used Avery Labels from my work. They stick on well, but can be hard to get off if you want to reuse the bottle. Real easy to use though, just type in the Avery Product number in Microsoft Word, it generates the template, then copy and paste!

Isnt avery kind of expensive ?

Those look great Haze! How easy do they come off? I am guessing they will with an overnight soak?

You know what? I haven't yet tried to peel the labels and see how easy they come off. But I assume being cheap enough to be affordable once in a while, the glue isn't really strong. Probably an overnight soak will do the job, maybe with a bit of dish dish water soap or similar.

The best adhesive I have found is gelatin based. Holds up in ice water, but comes off quickly in hot water. I made up a batch a couple years ago, and it is still good after storing in a sealed container at room temp. I apply with a 1" paint brush. It tends to gel when stored, but gentle heating liquefies it again.

I have used plain printer paper and ink jet, but the water resistance varies very widely depending on the ink used. If you really want them to hold up in ice water, get them laser printed on a hard finish paper. You can get this done many places for about $0.10 - $0.20 a sheet plus a small set up charge.

For design software, I have been using Inkscape. It's available free for Windows, iOS, and Linux.

Brew on :mug:

Inkscape is great. I have it on all my Windows and Linux boxes. It is a good vector graphics program for the hobbyist. The Gimp is a suitable Photoshop replacement if you don't have a subscription, but the workflows vary quite a bit from Photoshop.

Small Avery labels are my goto for gifts. It isn't a guarantee I'll get the bottles back, but even if recipients do return them, usually a hot water soak gets the labels off. Avery also makes removable labels, but they are much more expensive.

Latest posts

Back