Making the switch to AG(BIAB)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bberg

Reaction score
I posted this in another section of the forum, but I figure I'll get a bigger crowd to review it here! Thanks in advance!

I'm waiting for my move to New Orleans and I'm using my time to build myself a fermentation chamber...

[Since I am unable to brew due to moving in 2 weeks, I have begun researching the equipment I will need to continue brewing/switch to BIAB. AS my first batch of AG (BIAB) will be in NOLA and I will no longer have a natural gas stove... I'm thinking of ordering a burner and large pot... Does this combo seem fit?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000BXHL3/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 - this pot
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009JXYQ4/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 - this burner

Thoughts?

FYI - I have no expectations of doing >5 gallon brewing. I have a 6.5 gallon bucket and one mini-fridge.. and this won't be changing in the near future.

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
I recently switched to BIAB also. I got a 10 gallon pot and brewed a double IPA that had 17 lbs of grain. With the grain and the 7.5 gallons of water in there it was full to the brim and I spilled quite a bit of water when I had to stir my grains. I wish I would have went with a larger pot, at least a 12 gallon but I really wish I would have gone with a 15 gallon. I know it seems like overkill but if you plan to brew any big beers then go with the larger kettle. They really aren't that much more expensive and it is better than buying yet another kettle down the road. The link for the burner doesn't work. I use the Dark Star burner and it works like a champ.

^^^^^^Agree

I would get at least a 12 gallon pot, preferably a 15. I got a 10 and it's tough with bigger beer

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Thanks for the tips. Any suggest 12 gallons?

Also, I've updated the link for the burner! Thanks for the heads up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, I'm debating just cutting my commercial keg that I have... No basket, but not sure that's a necessity OR I could just buy that separately..

Sorry for double post - is it better to just go for an electric build? I doubt I'd have access to 220v, so maybe a 110v? I see some threads on 110v for not much more $$.. thoughts?

I don't think the basket is really necessary. You can get a nice bag for less than basket. I have never used electric elements but I like using propane. It is really just personal preference.
If I had a keg then I would turn it into a keggle. They seem to make great kettles but I have no personal experience with them.

I don't think I'm following. Why do you want a propane burner, if you're not planning on brewing more an 5 gallons. Why not just keep things simple and use a stovetop?

My friend has a propane set up, but he uses a keggle and makes 10 gallons at a time. I kind of don't see the point of an external burner for 5 gallons or less.

The keggle does make a great kettle, but in my opinion it does not make a good mashtun substitute. We tend to struggle to maintain strike temps. We have this mylar insulation thing that can go over the top of it, and that helps a lot with maintaining the temp. However, with that on, we can't turn the burner back on for a second or it melts a little. Oops.

I don't think I'm following. Why do you want a propane burner, if you're not planning on brewing more an 5 gallons. Why not just keep things simple and use a stovetop?

My friend has a propane set up, but he uses a keggle and makes 10 gallons at a time. I kind of don't see the point of an external burner for 5 gallons or less..

The apartment I'm moving to has a small electric element stove. I've brewed once on an electric stove and it took forever to get a rolling boil and I was hoping to shorten that length of time with a propane burner. Not sure it's a valid thought/answer, but that's what I'm thinking.

I'd suggest adding a heat stick to help out the boil, and stay stovetop. It would really simplify things.

The apartment I'm moving to has a small electric element stove. I've brewed once on an electric stove and it took forever to get a rolling boil and I was hoping to shorten that length of time with a propane burner. Not sure it's a valid thought/answer, but that's what I'm thinking.

Yeah, having thought about it more after saying that, I can totally see how that would be really cool. You would have almost a complete outdoor 10 gallon set up for about a 100 dollars. Honestly, I would just get the 60 quart kettle because you know someday you're going to want to do more than 5 gallons, especially if you already have kegs.

I wasn't trying to be a downer, just confused. Seems awesome, brew on :mug:

Get the propane burner, you won't regret it. My Dark Star burner will boil 8 gallons of water faster than my stove can boil 4 gallons.

Yeah, having thought about it more after saying that, I can totally see how that would be really cool. You would have almost a complete outdoor 10 gallon set up for about a 100 dollars. Honestly, I would just get the 60 quart kettle because you know someday you're going to want to do more than 5 gallons, especially if you already have kegs.

I wasn't trying to be a downer, just confused. Seems awesome, brew on :mug:

I didn't take it that way :mug: I should have explained it more in my original post. I appreciate all the help! I already have a 1/2bbl keg... thoughts on the 60qt kettle vs the 1/2 barrel keg?

Get the propane burner, you won't regret it. My Dark Star burner will boil 8 gallons of water faster than my stove can boil 4 gallons.

Any reason you got that over the SQ14/SP10? I'm leaning towards the SQ14 cause of the square base and potential Keggle option... even if it is slower (more efficient!)

I didn't take it that way :mug: I should have explained it more in my original post. I appreciate all the help! I already have a 1/2bbl keg... thoughts on the 60qt kettle vs the 1/2 barrel keg?

Any reason you got that over the SQ14/SP10? I'm leaning towards the SQ14 cause of the square base and potential Keggle option... even if it is slower (more efficient!)

No, the only reason I got it was because Midwest had a promotion to buy one of their Imperial kits and you got the burner for free. Well, it was either that or vice versa. Either way I got a killer deal on it. It seems to be a good burner but so does the SQ14.

Back