Making starter out of two older liquid yeast packs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mutt98

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, after making big plans to brew a beer last fall, I've finally gotten around to making my starter. My first yeast pack arrived already completely swollen. After pushing back my brew a couple of months, I decided to go ahead and grab a new pack. Both have been in my refrigerator since (wyeast 1056 with production dates of June and October 2013) I just made a 1.5L starter and pitched both yeast packs in. Do you think my viability will be high enough to make this work? Beersmith doesn't seem to think so, but I always think beersmith seems to error on the side of excess when it comes to yeast.

Ok, looks like I should probably do a second step. Haven't done that before but looks as simple as making a second batch of starter wort and pitching the slurry from the first starter in. Shouldn't be a problem since I'm not brewing til Saturday. Thanks for the help.

I stepped it up once. Brewed this weekend and fermentation took off as expected. Blow off tube required, and fermentation looks very vigorous. Unfortunately, I have lots of variables in this brew, with older yeast, hops and grains, so if there does end up being a problem, I won't be able to single out an exact cause. Either way, beer will be made. Thanks everyone.

Try this calculator. You'll need to figure the number of viable yeast cells for each pack due to the difference in age. Maually enter the total for both yeast packs for the calculated results for the size of your starter.
http://www.brewersfriend.com/yeast-pitch-rate-and-starter-calculator/

I was in the same situation.
I used the MrMalty calculator to give me an estimate of viable cells in each pack.
And then used the brewersfriend calculator to figure out my starter steps.

Well, fermentation started quickly so I figured my yeast was in good shape. However, 11 days later, I've still got what appears to be active fermentation. Blow off tube is still bubbling at 1/sec (which I know isn't the be all indicator) and the beer is still churning pretty actively and running about 4-6 degrees above ambient temperature (ambient = 60F, actual 65ish). Should I be concerned that the long fermentation is a result of a yeast problem or just a good long slow fermentation? Yeast was the wyeast 1056 btw.

FYI OG was about 1.064 if my memory serves so I was expecting a little extra time for fermentation anyways, but I've made this beer before and it was done in just a few days.

I'm not worried enough to think about dumping it or even rush a gravity test, just curious if anyone has any insight here.

It does sound a little odd that you're getting that much off gassing at this point. I've had some batches hang in there and continue to bubble all the way up until I kegged and there was nothing wrong with them though. You never know. Might not hurt to take a gravity sample and see what's going on in there.

I was thinking about going ahead and grabbing a reading. I'm waiting to dry hop this as well so I didn't want to start dry hopping and drive off all of the aroma since it's still blowing air, even if it has reached a final gravity. But, like I said, there is a lot of movement in the fermenter still.

Try this calculator. You'll need to figure the number of viable yeast cells for each pack due to the difference in age. Maually enter the total for both yeast packs for the calculated results for the size of your starter.
http://www.brewersfriend.com/yeast-pitch-rate-and-starter-calculator/

based on the date that I gave (January of 2013...yeah, been in the fridge a while) it came up with 0% viability, but after the second step (going to do a third, just to be sure) I have a very active beaker of yeasties..... I figured I wasn't out anything but a cup or so of DME and a little bit of yeast food.... I think just trying it is worth it, even if you DO let it sit in the fridge 'too long'

I went ahead and took a gravity reading tonight.

Eleven days into fermentation and I'm at 1.021. That's definitely higher than my expected FG and as I said, all of the signs of active fermentation are still present. I tasted the sample and it's definitely still sweet.

My only real concern is that my older yeast is stressed out and going to be causing some problems with this long fermentation. However, as I noted earlier, I didn't have a long lag time considering the yeast were pitched in the low 60's F (12-18 hours if I remember right).

I'm not having any patience issues as far as wanting to start kegging this stuff right away, but I'm just wondering if I should plan on letting this age a bit longer to possibly take care of any off flavors that might have been kicked off.

p.s. my kegerator is empty so I might have lied about the patience thing:)

Nothing you can really do about it at this point. I would just relax, wait for it to finish and see what happens. I'm sure it will be drinkable as long as you can get the FG down, which shouldn't be a problem since it's still churning. Let it condition for an extra week or two if you think the stressed yeast need more time to clean up.

Update: I bumped the temp up in my fermentation room (spare bathroom) to encourage the yeast to finish up their business. Visible signs of fermentation have tapered off and the beer is cleaning up nicely at this point. Getting ready to dry hop and see what kind of FG I've attained. We shall see how it turns out and maybe see if it's possible to make good beer without ideal freshness.

Back