Making mini fridge taller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nic0

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey all. I did a fair amount of searching the interwebs for a how-to on making a mini fridge taller.

I picked up a couple of the small dorm style (basically a cube, roughly 16-18" tall) for free over the past week. I was petty sure some time in recent years I found instructions how how to hack up the top of a certain model to make it tall enough to fit a carboy or keg. But today I couldn't find those instructions. Google, YouTube, hbt search, nothin. Just a bunch of mods to convert the function of freezers or mini fridges to keezers/kegerators.

So...is anyone hoarding some videos or articles on how to do this? I'm most worried about finding refrigerant lines and general methods of construction. I'm fully aware that I'll have to cut holes and probably bend some lines.

These were free so I have to try to do something good with them!

Thanks,

Nic

Its going to depend on if it has coolant tubes or what not running through the top. Depending on how much room you have to work with what you want to do, this could be attached to a larger shape area made of foam. Guys have used the same type to make large fermenting areas. That said if its for a keg you might be able to make a stand for it, turn it on its back, and remove the door, then make a top piece out of foam and wood or other material. First quest will always be the model so that if someone has access they can try to look up the specifics.

I will try to go out and check the model numbers and report back tomorrow.

I thought I remember some method of locating coils, using cornstarch mixed in some liquid, maybe isopropyl alcohol, and maybe another one using magnets and chalk or something. I didn't think the coils would be a ferrous metal, but thinking has gotten me into trouble before.

why hack the top off? you can build a box, so to speak and enclose the fridge in there. I have exactly what your talking about. the little mini fridge and all i did was build a box and place the mini in the end of it (think window AC apprearance), some great stuff and ridgid insulation sealed it up nice. the box i build is big enough for two carboys with blow off tubes, so plenty of room. and my temps can be set to where they need to be.

I use the ebay duel controller from china. cant think of the name right now but it is the one everyone uses here (it seems like).

i have the fridge for cooling and have a $9 mini heater from wal-mart for the heating. the thing has been working like it should for the past year and a half.

Probably just jinxed myself for that....

Can you post pics to your setup? I'd like to do the same thing. Would like to see it to help visualize, get a starting point. Thx

Back