Making home wine is dangerous...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That’s not the worst danger.

The worst danger is much bigger. What happens is that you feel the need to make wine out of everything you see, including huge vats of cranberry sauce. You buy more and more carboys, bottling equipment, a wine press, an apple cider press, and it takes over your entire basement. Then you have 15 carboys behind your couch for a year or two. Next, you start making beer because the wine takes too long. That leads to an all-electric 1/2 barrel brewery and a huge kegging setup and three kegerator. Well, once you have the kegs you realize that wine ages best in stainless, so you start with that process too.

Of course, that leads to mead, kombucha, and fermented foods.

Before you know it, you’re the Admin of a homebrew forum, doing speaking engagements at HomebrewCon each year, becoming a BJCP beer judge, writing articles for publications, appearing on podcasts, and more.

So yes. Making wine at home is VERY dangerous. I’d strongly recommend stopping now while you still have the chance. Once it’s too late, it’s too late.
I don't know, this story sounds quite far fetched. I don't think that anyone actually believes that.

There is no way your brewery is only a 1/2 bbl...
:D

I don't know, this story sounds quite far fetched. I don't think that anyone actually believes that.

There is no way your brewery is only a 1/2 bbl...
:D
It can happen...
IMG_20200318_171119.jpg

My last dog was named Augie Doggie and he never missed a brew day. Augie was an 85 lb American Pit Bull Terrier and a big ole baby with people. He was taken early unfortunately. The bird was Augie's first toy and I keep it in the brewery to watch over all brews, he is the brewery guardian. He is missed

Last year I tried to make wine out of dried cranberries. I have no idea what they coated those cranberries with. But I can tell you yes if I would have drank it, it would have been dangerous alright and most likely would have made you sick. That is if I could have got past the smell of barf first. It went down the drain and into the septic tank.

I've made quite a few wines, the dried cranberry wine, was the only one I would consider dangerous. Although some were pretty high alochol content (rocket fuel). Those could also be dangerous if you drank to much.

As a matter of fact if you see my profile picture that's my wife's 130lb Rottweiler, who loves my wine. I can't leave a glass on the table and go to the bathroom. He'll lick the glass dry. Then he comes stumbling into the living room, gets on the couch, flips over on his back and goes to sleep. I guess being on his back, makes the world stop spinning or something.

Last edited:
Back