Making blueberry puree

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ziggy13

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am making some puree tonight from fresh blue berries. I plan to heat the puree up to sanitize it as much as possible, then store it in sanitized glass mason jars until I can actually add it to my beer tomorrow. My question is do I need to use some sort of filter for the puree, like a nylon hop bag or a metal strainer to get out solids? Or will that stuff just generally drop out during aging? I've never made a puree before and have no idea what to expect.

I recently used the Oregon Blueberry Puree that comes in the big can, that stuff is a little bit chunky... I just dumped it into the bottom of my secondary and racked on top of the puree after fermentation was complete in the primary. Fermentation kicked back up hot and heavy for another day after that, but I siphoned directly from the secondary w/ puree into the keg. I did use a 5 gallon mesh paint strainer bag from Lowes (sanitized of course) around my entire autosiphon, and that worked beautifully. Actually, I have made that part of my standard siphoning procedure now. I have also done the exact same thing with fresh raspberries.

:mug:

We ended up just pureeing the blueberries in a food processor, then forcing it through a strainer and dumping it into the secondary. There are definitely some seeds and skin solids in the beer now, but I'm pretty sure it will all drop out. I plan on siphoning through a hop bag like you said to get whatever doesn't drop out. I believe next time instead of using a strainer I will force the blueberry puree through a hop bag first, that will keep all of the seeds and solids out.

Back