Making beer with 15 year old extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MVKTR2

Reaction score
Of course I'm not that crazy but while climbing down the rabbit hole at YouTube I ran across someone who was.

It's worth watching to hear the first line utters upon tasting it then he tries talking himself into liking it!

[ame="https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=g09b17V4NWQ"]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=g09b17V4NWQ[/ame]

Did I mention he used 15 year old yeast too! It's great and to be fair he gets hooked and starts doing it right in later videos.

yeah alot of people start on mr beer in this guys case it was old..whenever you wait 2 weeks for something you hope its good ..this dude now brews all grain and is doing just fine..gotta start somewhere..whats amazing is how home brewing can just pull you in..you would think having a 15 y/o extract kit would make you say "im not doing that again" and discourage you from home brewing but not this dude

Your thread title made me smile and think about those huge cans of pre-hopped extracts back in the 80's. Anyone remember that gosh awful stuff? I keep trying to forget...lol.

I had to laugh as i was scanning down the General Discussion list of topics it said:

Making beer with 15 year old extract
Don't do that

the extract is likely fine - it's basically just jam - using 15yr old yeast maybe less so - you would at least need to build up a decent starter I expect then it would be fine too

consumerism conditions us to think anything over a few months old is unusable - there was a thread on here with someone worrying if some crushed malt was usable after a couple of months

I opened a 20 year old bottle of lambic the other day - it had lost it's carbonation, sedimented and was more like a low alcohol but very mature red wine - but it was perfectly drinkable

Those pre hopped cans were horrid, extract tang anyone? We used them for a month before going all grain in 1981. Saved us a bundle considering we had 2 extended families brewing. We had rented a shut down cafe really cheap and made the front into 2 family meeting rooms that could seat 50+ each. Used it for holidays, Christmas we often had 50++ people to feed so the commercial kitchen came in handy! Used it for football games where both families got together to have a fun Sunday afternoon in an easy to clean space. Kept the mess out of the houses! We setup half the kitchen with a 3 tier system and often did 20-40 gallons on a weekend.

I have a 10 year old can of Mr.Beer. Bought it cheap at the time. Anyone want to experiment?

I have a feeling it will eventually become a 15 year old can. I can't ever see myself using it.

I actually found a Mr.Beer can that was 4 years past expiration when I started to try home brewing again at the start of this year. I went ahead and used and it didn't taste any different from what I remembered it tasting like years ago. I think that's because it was horrid. Both times i used untreated water with a lot of chlorine in it. All I can taste is that band-aid flavor.

Luckily I decided not to just give up again and started to learn about treating water. My beers are getting better each batch. This forum is a godsend :)

Back