Making Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Magic

Reaction score
Hey, I'm new here and I'd quite like to get started in the Home Brewing hobby.

I was looking to make some kind of Cider and then I seen Apfelwein.

I was messing around for a bit with Bread Yeast and the results were horrible, I swear. I did about 5 or 6 different batches; all horrible.

It kind of put me off but then I decided that I should give it another go with Wine Yeast.
I was not too sure to buy Red or White off ebay but then I saw White is extremely good at fermenting at cold temperatures and whatnot so I chose that.

Now, my questions are:

1.How much sugar will I add?
I don't have a great deal of apple juice to use so I'm using 2 litres or 0.4 gallons. I don't have a hydrometer.
There is 208 grams of sugar already in the 2 litres of juice.

2.How much of the wine yeast do I use for 2 litres?

3.How long do I leave it to sit?
Please take in mind that I am inpatient, sorry.
But I want the results to be decent.

Thanks for reading my thread, I can't wait to get started here and I hope I have provided enough information.:fro:

1. Don't add sugar. Skipping added sugar means it will be ready faster
2. Just dump the packet in, no problem
3. Give it 2 weeks for fermentation, then let it sit until it tastes good
4. Where are you brewing?

1. Don't add sugar. Skipping added sugar means it will be ready faster
2. Just dump the packet in, no problem
3. Give it 2 weeks for fermentation, then let it sit until it tastes good
4. Where are you brewing?

While I want it ready fast I want the alcoholic content of a wine.

I want to conserve the Yeast I have! At ?1.55 a 5g packet :rolleyes:

I'm brewing in my room or if you mean country, UK.

Edit: How come pound signs don't work here :?

While I want it ready fast I want a decent alcoholic content of a wine.

I want to conserve the Yeast I have! At ?1.55 a 5g packet :rolleyes:

I'm brewing in my room or if you mean country, UK.

Pure juice will get you 6-7% I think. Adding sugar will increase it, but can also add significant conditioning time. The standard apfelwein recipe on here takes 9-12 months to be good.

Cool you're in the UK, what grade are you in?

Pure juice will get you 6-7% I think. Adding sugar will increase it, but can also add significant conditioning time. The standard apfelwein recipe on here takes 9-12 months to be good.

Cool you're in the UK, what grade are you in?

I can't believe there's so much sugar in the juice already.
Jesus, how can you wait that long. I'd be buzzing around the house waiting for it to be ready.

How long do you reckon mine should take?

I see what you're doing....
I'm upper sixth year 13.

Give it 4 weeks and it will taste like dry white wine. Make sure you use some sort of air lock so that it doesn't oxidize and turn into vinegar. Read the 20,000 gallon apfelwein thread.

Ha. Well if you have a bunch of other projects in the works, or any sort of pipeline, waiting is no problem. But usually stick to things that are ready in weeks, not months. For straight juice, I'd guess a month or two?

Haha, and as for the age thing...just a little due diligence, making sure it's legal for me to give advice. Carry on :)

Thanks for the replies, I was wary whether or not I would receive any at the bottom of this forum but there you go!

I'll wait until it comes, also was I right to order White Wine yeast?

So last question, a 5g pack is for 5 gallons, so obviously 1g for 1 gallon.

So can I use 0.5 grams for half a gallon? Or is that too much like common sense :p

Also, will the Apple juice not go out of date?

It says on the package that it runs out in 3 weeks time...
Or is that when it looses its quality?

When stuff goes out of date it doesn't neccesarily mean its bad it. Especially stuff in containers like that. when it starts fermenting you will be fine.

Back