Making a Wort Chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DocDriza

Reaction score
Just acquired a keggle so I can move to all grain. Instead of buying a new wort chiller, I would rather make one because I think it will be cheaper. After using the Google machine I can't figure out if it is better to get 50' of copper to get more coils, or use 20' with less coils. Do the number of coils equate to how fast the wort will cool down?

I will start out with 5 gallons at first so I get the process down, but then could move to 10 gallons.

Thanks in advance for the suggestions.

If you're planning on moving up to 10 gallons, you will want a 50' chiller. I don't have on yet, because I want to get what I know I'll need in the future.

50' will cool much quicker than 20', yeah. It allows more thermal mass to be in contact with the wort at once.

I recently purchased 50' of 1/2" soft copper (refrigerant pipe) for about $40.00. I rolled it around a soda keg till half was used, wrapped it with some towels then rolled it back up for a double coil. some videos out there. You can leave it coiled tight for 5 gallon and spread the coils out later if you go to 10 gallon. Spread the bottom coil as needed to make a leg so that the majority of coil is in the top portion of your boil where the hottest wort is

I recently purchased 50' of 1/2" soft copper (refrigerant pipe) for about $40.00. I rolled it around a soda keg till half was used, wrapped it with some towels then rolled it back up for a double coil. some videos out there. You can leave it coiled tight for 5 gallon and spread the coils out later if you go to 10 gallon. Spread the bottom coil as needed to make a leg so that the majority of coil is in the top portion of your boil where the hottest wort is

I did see an awesome video for the double coil. not sure how interested I am in that. Since i dont have any kegs, I'm just going to wrap it around my fermenting bucket.

Man, I started making one from a 50' coil of 1/2" copper tubing. That is a b@@#% to keep it looking pretty. Mine does not have that nice coiled look and it really bugs me. It's still functional, but I wish there was a way to straighten it out and redo it...

Doc, you can use whatever fits your pot. Stronly suggest the double with 50' so you can keep the coils high where they do the most good.

Hez you can straighten it if you are VERY carefull not to kink. Once it is semi straight you can anchor one end and pull the other end with a come along and it will become perfectly straight. You can check for videos or if you know a plumber that works refer pipe they can show you.

Man, I started making one from a 50' coil of 1/2" copper tubing. That is a b@@#% to keep it looking pretty. Mine does not have that nice coiled look and it really bugs me. It's still functional, but I wish there was a way to straighten it out and redo it...

I'm not really looking for "pretty". I really only care about functionality.

Doc, you can use whatever fits your pot. Stronly suggest the double with 50' so you can keep the coils high where they do the most good.

Hez you can straighten it if you are VERY carefull not to kink. Once it is semi straight you can anchor one end and pull the other end with a come along and it will become perfectly straight. You can check for videos or if you know a plumber that works refer pipe they can show you.

I think I see what you're talking about. Tight coil's aren't really necessary?

Yes Doc you don't want them touching. The more surface in contact with Wort the better. mine has about 1/2" between individual coils and about 1" between inside and outside coils.

If you don't have kegs a propane tank works pretty well to coil copper around. You could also consider doing a counterflow chiller if you're making it yourself, they are more efficient for water use. 25-30ft of copper will be sufficient but you will need to buy as much hose to go around it. Your kettle needs to have a drain port to use them however, and while you don't actually need a pump they are way nicer to use with one as opposed to a gravity feed.

The temperature of you tap water should be significant factor on your decision of how long your coil should be.

I would second the advice to go with a counter-flow chiller design. The material costs for copper tubing and fittings are virtually identical.

Back