Making a starter with Hornindal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer-lord

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I assume if I am making a starter using Hornindal, it's best to do it at a higher temp like 85 and not crash it. Just do an 18-24 hour starter and pitch? Does that sound about right?

Do you have a stir plate? If yes, 4 hour starter is all you need.

You may also consider not making a starter at all if the packet is within 3 months.

I cold crash my starter with Hornindal so that I could harvest. I let it warm to room temp before pitching into 85 degree wort. Had activity in 3 hrs.

Do you have a stir plate? If yes, 4 hour starter is all you need.

You may also consider not making a starter at all if the packet is within 3 months.
Yep, I have a stir plate. I wanted to make a starter and overbuild it so that I can save some for another brewday coming up. I thought I'd just make the starter overnight and right before pitching (no decanting) I'd just save about 1/2 liter for the future.

Well, keeping the starter warm and well-aerated will help prevent the dreaded H2S, so you should be fine.

Cheers

Gee, and all I'm going to do is use 1g of dried flakes in a cup of first-wort to pitch when I'm done "cooling" 5 gallons an hour or so later!

Yep, I have a stir plate. I wanted to make a starter and overbuild it so that I can save some for another brewday coming up. I thought I'd just make the starter overnight and right before pitching (no decanting) I'd just save about 1/2 liter for the future.

When I get new packs of the kveik strains, I just use a tsp of the slurry for 5 gal batches. I'd just skip the starter process and underpitch some healthy, fresh yeasties. Make sure to aerate well!

Back