Making a kegarater

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prettygreen

Reaction score
Hi im gonna attempt to make a kegarater to house my corny kegs just wanted to ask is any old under counter fridge good enuff for the job like does it get cold enuff for the beer or is it best to use an under counter freezer cheers

Fridges usually are fine enough for cooling. The issue is usually fitting everything in there. It helps if the door is flat (no shelves on it) and the compressor shelf is small. Also avoid fridges with a freezer compartment.

Secondly if you plan on mounting a tap on the top (or somewhere) you just have to be careful where you will make a hole. If you cut a cooling line the fridge is pretty much a large paper weight at that point.

Maybe those points go without saying but... 🤷

Hi thanks for your reply i was gonna run the beer line from the kegarater to my pump thats on my bar its about 7 foot away from the kegarater would that work i didnt realy want to put the tap on the actual kegarater

You’d need to find a way to keep the line that’s outside the kegerator chilled most likely - assuming this line is permanently in place.

Warm beer lines will foam on you.

This isn’t easy/cheap to do which is why most homebrewers use keezers or towers where they can better control line temps.

Need to consider how you’ll keep the beer lines cool. If the beer warms up as it goes through the lines you’ll have foam issues.

Also if beer remains in the line you’ll have other issues if it is not kept cool, sucks as bad beer sitting in the line and possible mold if it is there for a few days or more.

Back