makeshift steeping grains bag????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrummerBoySeth

Reaction score
HELP! I am getting ready to brew today, and I just realized that I do not have a bag for my steeping grains. My LHBS is closed today, because of the Easter holiday. Is there anything you guys have used from around the house that would work in a pinch. I will not be able to brew for another 2 weeks after today, so I really want to get this done today, rather than go to the LBHS tomorrow for a new bag.

I was thinking of things like a sock, or one of my wife's old pantyhose. (properly cleaned and sanitized, of course), or perhaps putting my grains in numerous coffee filters. Will anything like this work, or am I stuck not brewing for another 2 weeks?

Do you have a hardware store open? Paint strainer bags are awesome. Otherwise the nylon panty hose would be fine. No need to clean and sanitize - you'll be boiling it. Worst case steep the grains in a gallon of water, and pour through a pasta colander lined with just about anything that will hold the grain in.

A muslin bag of some sorts will work, but the best thing to use would be a paint strainer mesh bag if you have one. I use those instead of the bags they sell at brew shops anyway.
Barring that I guess a panty hose would work? not sure never tried it, however... I would try to go with one of her NEW pantyhose!!! Just sneak it! She'll never know.
Good luck!!!!

Thanks for all the input. Was able to use a pair of nylon hose from SWMBO. Beer seems to have turned out good so far... We will see how it develops over the next few weeks.

Back