make your own pump!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ekjohns

Reaction score
So, being a graduate student money is tight, but I would love to get a pump. With this in mind I was trying to think of a DIY project to make a pump for much less than a LG, chugger, March. The concept of a mag. driven pump is pretty simple when you think about it. The head has a impeller with a big as$ magnet. The motor is just a motor with another big as$ magnet. So why could I not get a used washing machine motor from the junk yard with a RPM of 1200-1600 and glue a magnet from magnets4less.com to it. Then I would buy a cheap head from march or LG to drive the impeller. Is there any flaws in this?

yeah I saw that which is what got me thinking. But it seems like his cost him close to the price of a used march pump. I was thinking about $20 in magnets, $33 march pump head and $15 used motor, possible free if found on Craigslist.

yeah I saw that which is what got me thinking. But it seems like his cost him close to the price of a used march pump. I was thinking about $20 in magnets, $33 march pump head and $15 used motor, possible free if found on Craigslist.

That's $68, isn't that getting close to a used March? I thought you could get them new in the $130ish price range.
Another question is why do you want a pump, could you sent yourself up with a 3 teir gravity system?

lol do you know if you buy the head piece if it comes with the impeller too?

3 things I can see that you need to think of;
1) How are you going to mount the motor to the pump head,
2) You might want to look at a 3200 rpm motor (both the 809HS & 815 use a high speed motor) the standard 809 uses a 1550(?) rpm but that means less flow and less height.
3) Wiring, a scrap yard motor will most likely have the wiring cut of right at the motor.

If you want to be cost-adverse (I won't say cheap :D), maybe try looking to score a dishwasher pump and clean it up real good ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
And head looks very low - 3 m horizontal! Can not imagine it being able to pump up to the top of the MLT (unless you use them in series :D)
I thought 1 ltr(qt)/min was what is reacomended for fly spraging?

Missed that... horizon, I mistook it as a 3 ft rise.

Thanks

Joel

found a flaw. Seems like the whole head assembly is going to run around $100 so that puts the extra parts needed right at the price of one new and more than a used one. Unless someone knows of a head assembly that is cheaper

Back