Make Shift Brew Kettle Lid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaossmixer54

Reaction score
***I first off want to apologize if this is in the wrong forum...as I'm new to the community. However, it was suggested that the DIY forum might benefit from this post, rather than introductions.***

Hey there everyone,

I'm new to the community and I thought I would say hello and share some of my experience from my first time brewing. I started off with the Northern Brewer Deluxe kit and opted for the Caribou Slobber option. I bought a 24 quart aluminum brew kettle off Amazon and was ready to go. During the oxidizing of my brew kettle, I had trouble maintaining temperatures of due to not having bought a lid for the pot. (a downside to going the cost-effective route) However, I did have a couple old flat baking sheets that I was able to use as a make shift lid. (see pics)

This worked rather well during my brewing process. The nice thing that I experienced with this alternative, was that I was able to slide the two sheets apart, exposing an adjustable window to view the brewing wort. I was able to add ingredients, take temperatures, watch for boil over, and maintain temperatures. I later noticed that I was able to put the thermometer into the small holes in the baking sheet, minding to be careful not to snap the thermometer, and check temps without removing the lid. This was just nice, as I didn't have to have the condensation from the lid go everywhere each time either.

Any who, I'm sure this isn't anything ground breaking by any means but it was a nice "quick fix" to the issue and I not only had success with this method, but noticed a few little perks as well.

...Since my initial brewing, I've also brewed a batch of Bavarian Hefeweizen, which seems to be going very well in the primary, as there are plenty of bubbles coming out of the 3-piece.

Happy to join such an interesting, fun, and knowledgeable community. Cheers!

IMAG0282.jpg

IMAG0283.jpg

You are not supposed to have the lid on while your brew is boiling. You can keep it on while you are getting your brew up to boil but after that the lid needs to come off. Furthermore, they sell pots that don't come with lids?

+1....it's OK to keep the lid on when you are heating up just water, but whenever there's grain/LME/DME/wort in the pot, leave the top off. #1, there are DMS precursers in most grain types (pilsner especially), that needs to boil off during the boil. #2, you need to have a consistent water boil off, which will only happen with the lid off.

I don't even have a lid for my brewpot!

As mentioned, you can use it to help get the wort up to a boil, or keep it on when you're steeping grains, but otherwise don't use a lid on the boil kettle. There is a compound called DMS that is formed by the precursors (SMM).

From howtobrew.com: DMS is produced in the wort during the boil by the reduction of another compound, S-methyl-methionine (SMM), which is itself produced during malting. When a malt is roasted or toasted, the SMM is reduced beforehand and does not manifest as DMS in the wort, which explains why it is more prevalent in pale lagers. In other styles, DMS is a common off-flavor, and can be caused by poor brewing practices or bacterial infections.

DMS is continuously produced in the wort while it is hot and is usually removed by vaporization during the boil. If the wort is cooled slowly these compounds will not be removed from the wort and will dissolve back in. Thus it is important to not completely cover the brewpot during the boil or allow condensate to drip back into the pot from the lid. The wort should also be cooled quickly after the boil, either by immersing in an ice bath or using a wort chiller.

I suppose you could use a lid when the wort is chilling, to keep stuff from falling it it if you're outside, but even that isn't a good idea as DMS precursors still form DMS during chilling, until under about 140 degrees or so.

It's probably not a big deal with extract brews, but I'd suggest being safe and not using a lid. You could try reducing the size of the boil, or buy an outside burner, to get to a nice rolling boil without keeping a lid on.

Thank you all for the quick correction of error on my part. I have done two batches, but never left them fully covered and always had ventilation coming out of the brew kettle.

However, I'm sure I wasn't venting out as much as I should have been. Do you think this will affect the outcome of the final product? (ie: Brown Ale or Hefeweizen) So far the Brown Ale seems alright by FG tests and tasting. I'm going to do a little more research on DMS and SMM, as I knew nothing of this until now. However, what might be some of the negative side effects of too much DMS in the beer, other than off flavor/color? I just don't want to continue any "unsafe" brewing practices.

Again, thanks for the input and quick responses.

The only time to have lid on BK is while chilling to minimize schtuff falling in it (like bacteria in the air).

The Brown Ale won't be affected as much as the Hefe. The Hefe is traditionally 1/2 Pilsner malt, which has a larger % of DMS in the grain husks than all other grains. DMS in the final beer is often described as "cream corn/cooked vegetable" flavor. If you end up with that off-flavor in your Hefe, you now know where it came from. The DMS off-flavor also won't condition out, you are kinda stuck with it.

Good luck, though! Beer is very resiliant, so you can still end up with a very drinkable beer.

I had no idea that boiling with the lid partially on could contribute to DMS. To be honest, i had only heard about DMS until now but never looked into what it could actually do.

I'll definately be brewing with my top off from now on, my boil kettle top that is :p

When brewing outside, there's a lot of stuff that can fall in your beer, I use a splatter screen. Can pick them up at most grocery stores, just a round mesh screen with handle. Big one fits perfect on my keggle and allows the boil to "breathe" while keeping bugs, leaves, etc out.

bugs, leaves, etc

I've definitely brewed beer with bugs, leaves, AND etc. in them, and have never had a problem. Anything that falls into the mash or boil is going to be boiled and sanatized anyway. You don't really have to worry about infection until your wort drops below 160F. Temps over 160F kill everything except ringworm.

FDA regulations even allow up to 2500 aphids per 10 grams of processed hops, so you are likely putting chopped up bugs into your wort anyway.

Anyway, I've never seen a case where a brewer got ringworm, so if you happen to be the first one, post pictures! ;)

Back