Make liquid post larger for floating dip tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtstrider

Reaction score
Hey all! The keg is already full so I'm just asking for future reference. I have a floating dip tube and purchase brand new liquid/gas pre cut tubes. On one of my kegs the tubes are just a pinch too large (I'm talking very very very slight) to make it through. Would it harm anything if I drilled the opening just a tad wider (using a 5/16 inch bit meant for metal)? Plan would be to permanently use the floating dip tubes. I really don't want to cut an existing tube if at all possible. Would widening out the liquid posts cause any future issues? Here's what I'm using

Dip tube

https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Fe...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-St...p/B08PK4YLNZ/ref=psdc_979840011_t2_B08VD2Y938

Last edited:
I'd contact the damn seller for a faulty product!

It's not easy to drill the stubs out, exactly, it will be a hack job, literally. Gently filing or grinding might be better. But still, you should not have to do that, unless they came free, perhaps...

The seals are made by the "o-rings" so a hair wider passage shouldn't prevent that.

I'd contact the damn seller for a faulty product!

It's not easy to drill the stubs out, exactly, it will be a hack job, literally. Gently filing or grinding might be better. But still, you should not have to do that, unless they came free, perhaps...

The seals are made by the "o-rings" so a hair wider passage shouldn't prevent that.

You know that gives me an idea! I wonder if they make 5/16 inch round files? So far I'm not having luck on my searches so maybe the terminology is wrong?

If it's only a hair or less, literally, a drill bit may work, just progress very slowly or chances are the bit will bind and get stuck, or even snap off, creating a bigger issue.
Perhaps use some oil, but it's messy getting it all over an in your keg.

If it's only a hair or less, literally, a drill bit may work, just progress very slowly or chances are the bit will bind and get stuck, or even snap off, creating a bigger issue.
Perhaps use some oil, but it's messy getting it all over an in your keg.

I have a feeling you're right about the bit binding up. Really have to wonder if there may be other options?

Really have to wonder if there may be other options?
Gently filing is the safest, I'd say.
Try to keep the file perpendicular and file as evenly throughout the channel as possible.

If it's truly a minuscule amount, fine sandpaper wound around a bolt or nail may do it. You can even use a very slow spinning drill with that.

You know that gives me an idea! I wonder if they make 5/16 inch round files? So far I'm not having luck on my searches so maybe the terminology is wrong?
Chainsaw files come in various diameters, including 5/16". It would be easier to use a slightly smaller one, say 1/4" so you can keep it moving.

why not use the original long dip tube and just cut it short? I would not drill or hack you keg in any way. easier and cheaper to replace a bad dip tube than a damaged keg.

I wholeheartedly agree! Do you think a pipe cutter would work for this? I’ve heard of hacksaws being used but figure a pipe cutter might be cleaner

If it's a hairs breadth you could try heating up the valve( in the oven or blow torch) and putting the post in the freezer.... May give you just enough tolerance to slip in, although it may become quite permanent after that.
Just a thought.

If it's a hairs breadth you could try heating up the valve( in the oven or blow torch) and putting the post in the freezer.... May give you just enough tolerance to slip in, although it may become quite permanent after that.
Just a thought.

Would definitely want it removable

I wholeheartedly agree! Do you think a pipe cutter would work for this? I’ve heard of hacksaws being used but figure a pipe cutter might be cleaner
A pipe cutter may work, but the material is very thin, it may cause more damage than it does good. I'd rather use a Dremel with a cutting disc, then clean up the burr with a small (tapered) grinding stone on the same Dremel.

A pipe cutter may work, but the material is very thin, it may cause more damage than it does good. I'd rather use a Dremel with a cutting disc, then clean up the burr with a small (tapered) grinding stone on the same Dremel.

I've used copper pipe cutter and works well, just takes longer than copper of course, and also take smaller bites after each couple twirls of the pipe cutter.

Just remember once you cut that you can’t go back. You can try to buy a replacement but it sounds lke you just tried that and got one not the right size. I like the floating dip tube. The ones I have work well. I just like to also have things original or be able to put them back to original.

Hey all! The keg is already full so I'm just asking for future reference. I have a floating dip tube and purchase brand new liquid/gas pre cut tubes. On one of my kegs the tubes are just a pinch too large (I'm talking very very very slight) to make it through. Would it harm anything if I drilled the opening just a tad wider (using a 5/16 inch bit meant for metal)? Plan would be to permanently use the floating dip tubes. I really don't want to cut an existing tube if at all possible. Would widening out the liquid posts cause any future issues? Here's what I'm using

Dip tube

https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Fe...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-St...p/B08PK4YLNZ/ref=psdc_979840011_t2_B08VD2Y938

You bought the one made for Fermzilla. That’s the problem. You have to buy the one for kegs or torpedo kegs. MoreBeer sells them.

https://www.morebeer.com/products/floating-dip-tube-1.html
I checked this because I came real, real close to doing the same thing.

I've bought several floating dip tube kits...they all came with a new short SS dip tube and all fit perfectly.

I've bought several floating dip tube kits...they all came with a new short SS dip tube and all fit perfectly.
There are 2 different models. One says Fermzilla and the other says Torpedo kegs. Both are listed seperately on Morebeer. There must be a difference if they list 2 different models. The link the op posted says Fermzilla.

There are 2 different models. One says Fermzilla and the other says Torpedo kegs. Both are listed seperately on Morebeer. There must be a difference if they list 2 different models. The link the op posted says Fermzilla.
I bought from Alibaba (Chinese ebay) and they were "generic" for kegs.

I filed an exchange through Amazon. Hoping that knocks this out :) I’ll keep everyone in the loop!

Dip tube

The reviews on the gas and liquid dip tubes that you bought (that you labeled "posts") say that they were too big. Probably a faulty product. Return them to Amazon and get something else

Last edited:
I've done this 10 or 15 times with a carbide cut-off wheel on the Dremel. High speed, cuts like knife/warm butter. Feed the blade slowly. And wear goggles. Literally a 30 second job.

Back