Make IPA Clear Again

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why do you care?
Because I have to deal with these people. I work at a bar heavy on craft beer AND my wife's coworkers who I see often are "craft beer people" (only they're not they only drink juicy New Englands)
One woman my wife works with describes west coast IPAs to the non beer people at their office as "malty" to the newbs who are showing interest in beer. (They have weekly bottle shares after work and a beer fridge)
When bartending I have to deal with people who have no idea what the **** they're talking about and it makes things tougher for me. No biggy really just an annoyance

Which circles back to the original question - why do you care?
This book might be for you:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004M5HBAG/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

Once you stop expecting people to speak and behave according to your worldview, life becomes much less stressful, and you may actually find them not annoying at all...;)
I just explained why I care. Did you read the whole post?
You go ahead and field questions about beers from people who only like sludge beer and see how you find it. At work mind you not just for fun.

I'd rather take a 4/0 fish hook in the eye than deal with actual people for a living, and I've overheard all kinds of nonsense spewed by customers in drinking establishments that if I was on the other side of the bar I'd probably need frequent eye surgery from excessive rolling.

If your customer base fits that model you have my sympathies, but I'd be reticent about applying the same expectation across the broader spectrum of beer drinkers...

Cheers!

Because I have to deal with these people. I work at a bar heavy on craft beer AND my wife's coworkers who I see often are "craft beer people" (only they're not they only drink juicy New Englands)
One woman my wife works with describes west coast IPAs to the non beer people at their office as "malty" to the newbs who are showing interest in beer. (They have weekly bottle shares after work and a beer fridge)
When bartending I have to deal with people who have no idea what the fudge they're talking about and it makes things tougher for me. No biggy really just an annoyance
I feel for you. People describe stuff about tastes that they don't understand. At times they are flat out wrong.

I brought my first LOB Kolsch to the local brewery. Most people said it was too malty. It's was per the style guidelines. What they were tasting was fresh malt flavor. Out of nowhere the head brewer said it was thin. I dismissed that too. Most of his beers are oxidized by the 3rd week. When I'm there I drink whatever is the newest on tap. Sharing my beer for feedback seems like a waste of time with ordinary patrons. However people at my brew club are different. We meet at this same brewery for meetings.

I could never own a brewery. I'd be that Seinfeld Soup Nazi.
BeerNazi.jpeg

The folks at Sierra Nevada apparently embrace Clear IPA... (I love this brewery!)

Very much looking forward to their 40 year Anniversary IPA!

View attachment 658481
I saw that and got SO excited!
Also saw that Trillium made a clear west coast last month AND other half made a clear west coast as a collab with someone.
People who were into beer before the juice/sludge wave are starting to speak up.
I'm sure the juice won't go away completely, but it's finally swinging back to the clear/piney/dank/citrus side of things!
The basics can have their pumpkin spice latte and juicy IPAs too.

Brilliant! Maybe the thread should be changed to, "the locker room"
Mate, my girlfriend used to live in Vauxhall in London, and there was an "etablisment" called locker room close by, next to the "Roman Spa" .... Both only frequented by men. I don't know what was going on there, but I'm glad that this thread is not called "locker room" yet :D

Pumpkin spice should only be in pumpkin pie.

I apologize if this offends. I cracked up when I saw it.

View attachment 658485

This is funny, but I do love a well made pumpkin beer. Along with hazies and westies. About the only beer I don’t like is a smoked beer. Might be due to not having a good one though.

This is funny, but I do love a well made pumpkin beer. Along with hazies and westies. About the only beer I don’t like is a smoked beer. Might be due to not having a good one though.
You don't know me.... I make good Rauchbier and it's clear if it's not black as tar. Name the wood and I've made it.

You don't know me.... I make good Rauchbier and it's clear if it's not black as tar. Name the wood and I've made it.

How about pine, isn't that suppose to be a bad wood for smoking?

Had an IPA that used cedar some how (not smoked) and that was pretty good.

I just cant enjoy a smoked beer, I burnt/scorched a batch of extract beer in 1982 and the flavor is etched in my memory as a bad thing.

Was camping once at the top of kenosha pass. And thought I would smoke the burgers and dogs. Doh, should have known better. Kind of tasted like poison.

I just cant enjoy a smoked beer, I burnt/scorched a batch of extract beer in 1982 and the flavor is etched in my memory as a bad thing.

Never pine due to creosote. That burnt taste is different than smoke. Worse than burnt marshmallows.

I will say it's an acquired taste like bitter IPAs. At first an IPA is too bitter. Then it's about right, then it can't get bitter enough.

Smoke is the same way as to how it grows on you. It needs to be smoked without burning the grain. I smoke my own barley with wet hot smoke of 150-200F. So far I've done, oak, mesquite, hickory, maple, apple, cherry, pecan, beechwood. Then used nut shells like pistachio and then peanut. Favorites are maple and apple, pecan is a close 3rd. Also Rauchbier is best enjoyed with food.

All beers used to be smoked before coal was a mainstream heating fuel source in malt houses. Allowing for evenly and lightly kilned malt. Leading to the pale ale variety. Then black patent roaster changed all of the darker ales allowing for small amounts of black and chocolate malt used in place of fully roasted grain bills. Thus further reducing the percentages of specialty malts that might be kilned with wood. Mild and brown malts started to go extinct at the malt houses.

Anyhow to each his own.

Cheers & Merry Christmas![emoji482]

Last edited:
Pecan sounds nice. Funny you brought that up for two reasons that I was going to share and decided nah, but now will. First, make ipa smoked again! For historical reasons. And second I was hoping you knew the term for amount of smoke imparted. The less being desirable in its time iirc. Anyways the term was brewers edge or brewers touch, something like that and its bothering me I cant remember. All malt was brown iirc as well. I have a colonial porter recipe posted somewhere, you might like it. Its half and half pale and brown with biscuit malt iirc. Merry Christmas!
Never pine due to creosote. That burnt taste is different than smoke. Worse than burnt marshmallows.

I will say it's an acquired taste like bitter IPAs. At first an IPA is too bitter. Then it's about right, then it can't get bitter enough.

Smoke is the same way as to how it grows on you. It needs to smoked without burning the grain. I smoke my own barley with wet hot smoke of 150-200F. So far I've done, oak, mesquite, hickory, maple, apple, cherry, pecan, beechwood. Then used nut shells like pistachio and then peanut. Favorites are maple and apple, pecan is a close 3rd. Also Rauchbier is best enjoyed with food.

All beers used to be smoked before coal was a mainstream heating fuel source in malt houses. Allowing for evenly and lightly kilned malt. Leading to the pale ale variety. Then black patent roaster changed all of the darker ales allowing for small amounts of black and chocolate malt used in place of fully roasted grain bills. Thus further reducing the percentages of specialty malts that might be kilned with wood. Mild and brown malts started to go extinct at the malt houses.

Anyhow to each his own.

Cheers & Merry Christmas![emoji482]

Pecan sounds nice. Funny you brought that up for two reasons that I was going to share and decided nah, but now will. First, make ipa smoked again! For historical reasons. And second I was hoping you knew the term for amount of smoke imparted. The less being desirable in its time iirc. Anyways the term was brewers edge or brewers touch, something like that and its bothering me I cant remember. All malt was brown iirc as well. I have a colonial porter recipe posted somewhere, you might like it. Its half and half pale and brown with biscuit malt iirc. Merry Christmas!

It seems kind of foggy at the moment. I seem to recall that reference with Brewer something.. I never really used the term. My stuff is smokey but in a notably good way. Maple Brown Ale was very bacon-like. My Grätzer with oak was very hammy. The others are non descriptive to meat but they were fragrantly campfire smokey in smell. Ranging in mellow smoke to a punch you in the face smoke bomb.

Clear IPAs have hop flavor tho- just don't have the wheat and oats

Exactly. We boil hops over a 60 min or 90 min period - or whatever the brewer chooses to do besides dump 4 or 5 ounces of hops into the kettle after they turn off the heat. Staggered hop additions for an ipa at 60 min, 30 min, 15 min and 5 min add plenty of bitterness and flavor.

Seems to me that alot of these recent techniques like BIAB and NEIPA have just arisen out of laziness.

I can’t believe we’ve reached a place where we actually make separate categories or designations for “clear beer” and people talk about “clear beer” now like its something weird or unusual. Beer is supposed to be clear.

You're beating a dead pony brother! The hazy crazies are just another religion like LODO, and like any religion, believers will go to great lengths to defend their righteousness. LIKE, claiming clear IPA, has no flavor. OF COURSE, it has flavor. It just lacks the thick, dank, musty, grotesque, mish mash, icky flavors they like! But they are not gonna give it up. So just let them worship at the altar of the murk till they get it out of their system.

You're beating a dead pony brother! The hazy crazies are just another religion like LODO, and like any religion, believers will go to great lengths to defend their righteousness. LIKE, claiming clear IPA, has no flavor. OF COURSE, it has flavor. It just lacks the thick, dank, musty, grotesque, mish mash, icky flavors they like! But they are not gonna give it up. So just let them worship at the altar of the murk till they get it out of their system.
Poor guy
3ke8mg.jpeg

Yeah to getting it out of their system until the next fad. LoL

I like LODO or LOB, but I know it's not for everybody. I don't believe in beer-vangelism. I don't like being preached to, so I don't intentionally do it to others.

Thinking of acronyms that better fit the bastardized style.

NEIPA - Not English India Pale Ale. LoL [emoji16]

DAPA - Dank American Pale Ale.[emoji53]

NAPHTHA - North American Pale Hazy Thick Hackneyed Ale [emoji2960]

Struggled with the second H for a bit. This seems to fit. Hopefully NAPHTHA name sticks.

hackneyed

1.Definition: repeated too often; overfamiliar through overuse

"Hackneyed phrases"

Related Adjective(s):banal, commonplace, shopworn, stock, threadbare, timeworn, tired, trite

https://adjectivesstarting.com/with-h/
818doGmxJaL._SL1500_.jpeg
Light-Naphtha-from-Middle-East.jpeg

Last edited:
Defiantly on to something there. But how about :

NEIPA - Not EXACTLY IPA.

Then everyone can be happy. The pro-sludge community can still claim it has IPA in the name. The anti-sludge community can claim victory in defending the virtuous clarity, with ambiguity of the EXACTLY
I'm good with Not Exactly IPA. NEIPA.

I disagree with end. I think it is supposed to be whatever it is. And if its a hefeweizen that means cloudy. If its an ipa with wheat and oat and a pound of hops it will be likely cloudy. If its a stout made with coffee and chocolate and dark malts it wont be clear either. And we have come full circle, once again defining "beer" and all of the styles and variants into this broad term "beer". Perhaps the beers I like best are clear is better said.
Exactly. We boil hops over a 60 min or 90 min period - or whatever the brewer chooses to do besides dump 4 or 5 ounces of hops into the kettle after they turn off the heat. Staggered hop additions for an ipa at 60 min, 30 min, 15 min and 5 min add plenty of bitterness and flavor.

Seems to me that alot of these recent techniques like BIAB and NEIPA have just arisen out of laziness.

I can’t believe we’ve reached a place where we actually make separate categories or designations for “clear beer” and people talk about “clear beer” now like its something weird or unusual. Beer is supposed to be clear.

Now thats how you do it. I like many of these murky beers you speak of.

/me slaps bwible with a wet trout

BIAB isn't laziness, it's a space efficient way of making good, clear beer when you only have the three square meters of space the SWAMBO allows.

[QUOTE

Seems to me that alot of these recent techniques like BIAB and NEIPA have just arisen out of laziness.[/QUOTE]

My NHC medals disagree. Is this clear enough Boomer? I’ll get off you’re lawn now.

IMG_1313.JPG

I love IPA's and I recently made a great NEIPA. Matter of fact, it ended up being on of my best beers. But yes I have gotten a bit tired of the tropical IPAs and the NEIPA style. I recently made an IPA with only Warrior hops and it came out great. Nothing tropical about it. Just old school and hoppy.

Back