Make IPA Clear Again

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This happened again to me this evening. Went to a new small brewery in town. Indicated I was not interested in a hazy IPA, received blank stare...

“What do you consider hazy? We’ve got this pale ale which is only a little hazy...” WTF? I’m more convinced than ever the NEIPA have just created an excuse to not care if beer is properly conditioned.

I opted for a flight and both the IPA and pale ale were clearly influenced by the NEIPA thing. A little hoppy, not very bitter, and a fuller mouth feel.

Strangely the pale ale was reminiscent of horse radish. I think it was some strange combination of oniony and aromatic hops...? Both were not either a pale ale or an “American IPA”, yet I, the consumer, could not discern without actually trying them. The bartender was clueless to discern the difference between a west coast and east coast IPA.

I’ll say again, if you like NEIPA, and have access to the magical brews that I’ve never been lucky enough to try, good on you. For the rest of us try not to ruin the entire craft beer industry for us.

What’s next? Cloudy Bud Lite?
dilly dilly! So you do drink bud light, knew it. Like I said I would drink bud with you and naggy, sure. Tonight m43 for me. Honestly, I remain certain some of you are to cheap to have drank any "real beer". Dilly dilly!

I’m not sure how any beer, aged in a barrel for a year then dry hopped for six months can be cloudy. Seems suspect to me.

I am trying guys....brewed a classic west coast IPA (mostly a Racer 5 clone) with all C hops (Columbus, Cascade, Chinook and Centennial) fermented with WLP001...but it has only been in the keg for 2 1/2 weeks and is still hanging onto some haze. I expect about the time I pull the final pint it will be crystal clear.

20190508_221327.jpg

I am trying guys....brewed a classic west coast IPA (mostly a Racer 5 clone) with all C hops (Columbus, Cascade, Chinook and Centennial) fermented with WLP001...but it has only been in the keg for 2 1/2 weeks and is still hanging onto some haze. I expect about the time I pull the final pint it will be crystal clear.

View attachment 625988

Pfttttt drink it. It should clear up but i can care less unless I'm trying to impress. Nothing better than a fresh IPA

A delicious CLEAR IPA. Pardon the condensation on my glass... Of course wearing 3D glasses is reccomended..

upload_2019-5-23_13-57-45.png

to me that doesnt look clear . It doesnt look murky or thick either . Is that a red IPA? . That logo is pretty cool.

It is actually very clear. I'll post another pic without the condensation and good back lighting.

It isnt claiming to be a Red IPA but I agree it would align with that style definition. It's an IIIPA weighing in at ~>12%ABV and man is it delicious! It's sold in a 4-pack of tallboy's and includes a pair of cardboard 3D glasses for viewing of the can artwork. lol Pretty cool idea I'd say!

It is actually very clear. I'll post another pic without the condensation and good back lighting.

It isnt claiming to be a Red IPA but I agree it would align with that style definition. It's an IIIPA weighing in at ~>12%ABV and man is it delicious! It's sold in a 4-pack of tallboy's and includes a pair of cardboard 3D glasses for viewing of the can artwork. lol Pretty cool idea I'd say!

Man that's a big beer lol. I'd like to try that one. I think the 3d can is sweet .

hard to get a pic without condensation on the glass.

Nice CLEAR IPA @CascadesBrewer ! You are right, its hard to get that pic of CLEAR IPA with condensation on the glass!

@Jag75 : It took a couple of try's buy this is that 3D (CLEAR) IPA. The best illustration is from the top down.

upload_2019-5-25_22-36-18.png

upload_2019-5-25_22-37-4.png

Literally living on an island & not brewing for the last 3.5 years, I’ve missed the whole NEIPA thing.

My two questions are:
1) It sounds like intentionally chill-hazing a beer and/or serving it mit Hefe. Am I wrong?
2) What are good examples I can get in Washington?

1 - at least wrt classic neipa examples, the haze is mostly due to hop contributions, not proteins (indeed, heavy proteins can end up clearing the hop haze over time).
2 - no idea, I'm on the other end of the country, but assuming there are good examples out there Google should find them...

Cheers!

We're brewing a Red IPA next week, too. Love that style - keep all the bitterness and hop flavor, but just add a little more maltiness to it. Maybe my favorite style.

i feel the same way. i love malty beer's and i feel like you don't see this style all over.

Faction brewing in Alameda California makes one of the best Red IPA's i have ever had. if you ever take a trip to San Francisco its worth a trip over in the evening. the view on the deck outside over looks the city and you can watch the cranes operate at the container terminal.

Wow I love the clarity and the color makes it look so good. What's gives it that reddish hue because I would live to replicate it.

No crystal malts.
I’m not at home right now to to look up the recipe but my IPA’s usually have 2 Row, Munich 10L, and a little white wheat. Pic was taken close to sunset so that might have something to do with the color too. Thanks [emoji482]

Literally living on an island & not brewing for the last 3.5 years, I’ve missed the whole NEIPA thing.

My two questions are:
1) It sounds like intentionally chill-hazing a beer and/or serving it mit Hefe. Am I wrong?
2) What are good examples I can get in Washington?

Don’t brew the fruit juice!! [emoji12]

Back