Maintaining HLT Temperature in HERMs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skylar

Reaction score
My single-tier HERMs uses a controller for monitoring MLT temperatures through a thermowell in the lid. When the mash temperature drops, a pump is turned on for HLT recirculation. This setup works pretty well for maintaining MLT temperatures. However, I'm using propane in my current setup and find that the HLT loses temperature quicker than I'd like.

I'm debating on modifying my configuration to use a small heating element in addition to my burner. The burner would be used for reaching strike temperature, whereas the heating element would maintain temperature.

Does anyone have experience with using a heating element in combination with a burner? If so, how well does it work and how do you prevent the element cord from getting to hot?

Here's a link to the heating element I've been considering.

1500 WATT or 1800 WATT

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated, thanks.

In the "thoughts" department...

1500 watts should provide ~5100 BTUs/hr. A reasonably sized and well regulated gas burner should be able to provide that output level without issue. Are you not able to dial your HLT burner down that low?

The hot rod will undoubtedly work after a fashion but you'd need to add some control over it, even if fully manual (observe temperature, turn on or off as needed) just like a gas burner. I don't see much of an advantage unless your HLT burner is simply incapable of a stable low output.

The one upside in using an auxiliary element is it's easier to automate than gas. A Love controller or equivalent (or better) with a temperature sensor could run the hot rod and hold the HLT right where you want it, pretty much unattended...

Cheers!

[edit] Context for my view: I run a constant recirculation mash with a 10" bg14 propane-fired HLT (10 gallon batches).
Totally "Armstrong" control, I observe the HLT temperature and adjust the burner level accordingly.
That said I have a mark on my regulator knob that will hold the HLT at 153°F with consistency and rarely need to nudge it.
So the need for an auxiliary heater somewhat escapes me...

I haven't had a chance to try it, but I'm planning to use my Anova Precision Cooker in my HLT. It's only 800 watts but it includes automated temperature control and an impeller for circulation. I picked mine up for $100 on a black friday sale, looks like it's currently retailing for $150.

Context for my view: I run a constant recirculation mash with a 10" bg14 propane-fired HLT (10 gallon batches).
Totally "Armstrong" control, I observe the HLT temperature and adjust the burner level accordingly.
That said I have a mark on my regulator knob that will hold the HLT at 153°F with consistency and rarely need to nudge it.
So the need for an auxiliary heater somewhat escapes me...

It seems when adjusting my burner I'm either to low or not low enough. Perhaps marking my regulator as you mentioned would reduce the margin for error during subsequent batches and provide consistency. What do you recommend for marking the regulator?

Spyderbyte07 said:
I haven't had a chance to try it, but I'm planning to use my Anova Precision Cooker in my HLT. It's only 800 watts but it includes automated temperature control and an impeller for circulation. I picked mine up for $100 on a black friday sale, looks like it's currently retailing for $150.

I do like the idea of using an "Anova Precision Cooker" in the HLT. What size batch do you brew? I'm currently doing 15 gallon and don't think it'd keep up. I'm really curious to hear how it works for you.

I basically do the very same thing you are doing op, but I have heat sticks permanently attached to my hlt. I have one 1500w 15a and one 2000w 20a. I plug in both full power to get up to the temp. Once where I need it i will unplug the 2000w to let the smaller element maintain temps while mashing. If I wanted to ramp tempt I would simply plug in the second element as needed. I can't leave the brewing area, so controllers aren't needed yet.

Latest posts

Back