Magnesium Anode Location

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryanhope

Reaction score
Where is the best location for a magnesium anode in an electric kettle? Should it be placed as close as possible to the location of potential rust? Should it be far away? Does it not matter?

It was... in a round about way. I think what he was trying to say is, "if you are worried about rust on the base if your element, there is another solution".

I actually just took my anode out yesterday but when I had it in, it was on the same plane as the element at about a 45 deg. angle and the tip was about an inch or so away from touching the element.

The direct answer to your question is to just put it anywhere low in the kettle, as horizontal placement relative to the element doesn't matter.

Bear in mind that the anode will only be in electrical contact with the element when they are both immersed in liquid. When you drain the kettle, the anode is no longer helping you. Many find that sealing the face of the element base that is exposed to the kettle with aquarium silicon sealant is a better solution. Others find that they have no issues with rust anyway. Still others have rust and don't sweat it. Personally, I wouldn't bother with the anode.

The direct answer to your question is to just put it anywhere low in the kettle, as horizontal placement relative to the element doesn't matter.

Bear in mind that the anode will only be in electrical contact with the element when they are both immersed in liquid. When you drain the kettle, the anode is no longer helping you. Many find that sealing the face of the element base that is exposed to the kettle with aquarium silicon sealant is a better solution. Others find that they have no issues with rust anyway. Still others have rust and don't sweat it. Personally, I wouldn't bother with the anode.

Thanks. I know there are other solutions to the problem as well as other problems that need different solutions (relating to element rust). Im in the process of building a new eHERMS/eHLT and soldering in 1 more welding spud for the anode is not really any extra work in the scope of things. Even if I do other prep work to the element I am still putting in an anode, they are cheap.

This reply is not even close to being on topic.

um.... It is if it eliminates the need for any anode... anodes have a 50/50 shot of working or not.
from what I have been able to find the "stainless elements" sold by brewmation may be nothing more than a cameo element that they have polished the base on to prevent rust.... they claim its 430 stainless and 430 stainless is magnetic and does rust, its 875 steel unlike 304 and 314 stainless which is more resistant to rust and less magnetic... how smooth the surface it has a large effect on how rust resistant the surface will be... the olive oil helps create some sort of protective coating when its heated up. I'm just trying to help you out since I was reading up on this a few weeks ago myself for my kettles.

Latest posts

Back