Magic Hat #9 Clone Bottling Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garrett19

Reaction score
Hello all,

About a month ago, I found a MH9 clone recipe on here. It was an extract recipe that came from the BYOB book.

I racked it to the secondary and mixed in the apricot puree (purchased at my local brewing store) and stirred it in a little and let it sit for two weeks.

On bottling day, I worked very hard to get a little trub and puree into my bottles as possible. However, after a week of bottle conditioning, I see floating clumps in the neck of the bottle. They have become more solid over the past few days, but they are not sinking. Please see linked pictures, if they will show up:

My assumption is that this is apricot puree coagulating in the bottle, but I want make sure.

The clumps have been getting smaller and dense over the past week, and I would like to leave them in the bottle for about another 3 days or so before i start drinking the batch, but i wanted to see if anyone could ID these floaties for me.

any ideas? I have done a few searches on here and I havent found anything matching this. That is probably b/c I stink at web searches.

Thanks,

Garrett

I've done a few fruit beers and have never had that. Doesn't mean it isn't apricot. Only way to tell is to sacrifice one and open it. It doesn't look like an infection to me.

h22lude, It was apricot. It wasn't a sacrifice to open a bottle, or six to see what is was. It is a clump of apricot puree floating in the neck. Once the bottle is chilled, it sinks to the bottom. The beer tastes great and I am going to do another brew of this recipe, but with extract, instead of puree. I guess I got a little too much puree when I racked to the bottling bucket.

This clump is floating on bottles from the end of the bottling session, as I got closer to the bottom of the bucket. I am a little OCD and kept track of that kind of thing.

I honestly dont know if the apricot imparts much flavor, as I tasted the drips from the can, but I am slave to the process.

Thanks for the help!

Garrett

Latest posts

Back