Magic Chef Keezer Dead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flomaster

Reaction score
so I have a Magic Chef 7.2 Deep Freezer, see my Signature below for the build.

well it was working fine up until about 5/6 weeks ago when my keg kicked. I didn't have another keg ready so I unplugged the unit.

well this past Saturday I plugged it in and put my keg in there. sunday morning I check on it and its not cold.

the compressor turn on and runs, but this thing doesn't get cold. I have the temp setting all the way to MAX. I think its low on R134a and this can be a DIY job for me.

I can buy this valve from my sister company at work for $1.73
http://hdsupplysolutions.com/shop/product-piercing_valve-192150

a can of R134a for XXX?? and my brother in law has the Ac Recharging gauges to test and fill it back up.

I am not sure if the little bulb dryer thing has gone bad and its even worth re-charging this. I really don't want to buy another Keezer since the granite work I have put into this one. I guess I can try and find another similar sized unit and go from there.

I found this Youtube Tutorial here that has instilled confidience in repairing my keezer:
Part 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TOp0D0dTZs
Part 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZE7J2yxyPA

-=Jason=-

IMG_20130910_174348[2].jpg

IMG_20130910_182154[1].jpg

IMG_20130910_182213[1].jpg

IMG_20130910_182201[1].jpg

192150_K_L.jpg

so I just ordered my valve and it should be here tomorrow, now to get a can or R134a and see if I can get this up and running

-=Jason=-

You really should pull a vacuum on it before you charge it, to see if it will hold a vacuum, and evacuate any moisture that may have entered the system.

Not sure of the quality / reliability of that unit, but yes............Got any refrigeration gauges, that will show when you've pulled the vacuum, and that will allow you to "close it off" and see if it holds?

Or , you could pump it down and wing it, add refrigerant after you've pulled the system down, and see if it works....

Just hate to see you throw money at it, if you're not familiar with refrigeration systems, and what to watch for, as far as "high side" and "low side" pressures and the like.

But give it hell, and keep us posted!:D

Not sure of the quality / reliability of that unit, but yes............Got any refrigeration gauges, that will show when you've pulled the vacuum, and that will allow you to "close it off" and see if it holds?

Or , you could pump it down and wing it, add refrigerant after you've pulled the system down, and see if it works....

Just hate to see you throw money at it, if you're not familiar with refrigeration systems, and what to watch for, as far as "high side" and "low side" pressures and the like.

But give it hell, and keep us posted!:D

I was set on buying the Harbor Freight gauges, but my Brother in law said he sad a set or two I could borrow. I didn't ask him about a vacuum pump, he might have one of those as well.

those two youtube video were pretty informative and I feel confident I can do this procedure.

-=jason=-

my little valve showed up today. I think I might try my luck with just adding R134a into the system and see if it starts to cool.

-=Jason=-

so its not good news guys. I added refrigerant into the system and things were looking good. the walls were getting cold and icing over. then the compressor just stopped running and I heard a clicking sound. I tested with volt meter and it would appear I have a short inside my compressor. so out to the curb it went and in less than 12 hours someone picked it up.

I use this as a learning experience. I know have confidence to add R134a into my automobile or another freezer or fridge. if I had the room and time I would have bought / sourced a free/cheap compressor and installed it.

-=Jason=-

Jason,

I have the same model and the same thing happened, right down to the green oxidation on the drier. When you refilled it, did you hear any additional leaking?
Also, did you put one of those valves on both the suction side and the high pressure side?

Thanks,
Dave

Dave, no I only put a valve on the Suction side. I couldn't hear or see any leaking after adding the R134A into the system. all in all this was relatively cheap to try and get working again. so im not out a lot of money. as I said my compressor ended up having a short in it which from what I've researched is non- repairable by a average joe. now if I did have a leak inside one of the walls this thing is toast anyways.

now I know why they pro's say its cheaper to buy a new one. because after you pay for their time and parts you could have bought a new freezer with warranty.

-=Jason=-

IN watching your videos I think I might try the super seal method that he mentioned. I noticed that our Keezer's only hold 3.5oz. of refrigerant where he was working with an 8.5oz. system so that will make things tricky but I'm sure I can figure it out.

We make Heat Pumps where I work so we have the vacuum pumps and gauge sets so hopefully like you I won't be in it for too much money just to try. I ordered the piercing valve the other day so wish me luck.

Back