Made my own brew bag

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phug

Reaction score
So I finally got around to making my own brew in a bag bag.

I had made some hop socks but wasn't really happy with the seams and how they looked. So I too my measurements and after finding a post from wilser about how to sew over the seams twice after the initial stitch, I now have a bag that I can be proud of.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1453738914.837896.jpg

On my hop socks the edge wasn't tidy and the threads would fray on the but that stuck out past the double row of stitching. And particulate would get stuck between the double row of stitches.

Not any more. I'm very happy with how this turned out.View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1453739049.042075.jpg

I will admit I thought I had killed my wife's sewing machine when it got stuck in one spot and pulled the voile down into the innards of the machine. Not fun, but I got it unstuck. Had to redo the curve on that corner and remove the damaged fabric (the weave got pulled open in a few spots) but you can't tell now.

Now o go find the drawstring that I salvaged from a dollarama laundry bag and feed it through.

I too have made my own bag for BIAB. I have not used it as yet, I am interested though in your comment about using a Wilser comment to stitch the seam better. Any chance you can find that and quote it here?

Thanks.

I'll look for the quote, and I'm sure he still does his seams better and his overall bag quality is better.

But with the Canadian dollar down, and the cost of international shipping, I went home made.

As a bonus, I found my drawstring.View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1453739993.965707.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1453740018.021484.jpg

Wilser's look to be a much nicer, snugger fit too, but I erred on the side of caution. I did not want a bag that I could now pull over the lip of the kettle.

I did the same thing... bought a length of voile for $7, gave it to MIL to sew the seams, works awesomely.

I'm ~8 batches in and the thing is holding up great.

Damn. I can't even darn a sock....

Sewing is quite a bit easier than folks think. Back in my skydiving days, I became a parachute rigger (read as: parachute mechanic) and learned to sew in no time flat. For stuff like bags and even simple clothing repairs, a standard "Suzie Homemaker" type machine would be fine. Keep an eye out on Craigslist, you'll be able to score one for $25 or so. Before you buy it, have the seller run a row of stitching to prove to you that it's working well, then take it home and learn how to use it!

Everything you'd need to know about how to learn to sew would be on YouTube. You'll learn about thread selection and setting the bobbin tension, then how to keep the fabric properly tensioned between the dogs and the foot. Easy.

So, figure for the same cost as what you'd pay for one grain bag, you can pick up a machine. Score some fabric and thread and you're off to the races making more bags and shapes than you'd ever imagine.

I would TOTALLY have a machine, if I could spare the couple of square feet of floor space needed to put it. Current housing arrangements are, well, cramped.

I give up. I can't find the quote from @wilserbrewer about the stitching and I don't expect him to give up any trade secrets. I guess I should stress test my bag before first use

25 lbs of golf balls and water. I think I'll be fine on my 2.5 gallons brew days.View attachment 332926

I only used two stitches on this machine. A straight stitch, and a couple widths of zigzag stitch.View attachment 332928 and a fair bit of space on the dining table.

Now I can relegate my paint strainer bag to emergency backup status.

A tip I saw was to sew the seams, then turn the bag inside out and sew the seam again.

That's what I saw. Except I guess I misunderstood and put it inside out and with re seam laid flat open and stitched it once like that zigzagging across the original stitch and then flipped right side out again and did the same thing.

For other Canadians affected by the high exchange rates and lack of skills/equipment, try http://www.mashedin.beer/ . Excellent bags, flat bottom design and free shipping.

With the favorable exchange rate in the other direction and free worldwide shipping, maybe something for Americans to look at as well.

Latest posts

Back