Made a starter, then brew date postponed...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wi_brewer

Reaction score
Made a starter last Thursday with the intent to brew on Sunday....brewing partner had some family stuff come up and we had to postpone. Starter has been in the fridge since Friday evening.

We won't be able to brew for a few weeks now. Will my yeast make it that long? Can I just decant and pitch into another starter a few days prior to brewing, or should I just start over?

Is it a really high gravity beer or a lager yeast? Most likely it'll be okay if it's just a few weeks, but it wouldn't hurt to give it a shot of dme to liven them up.

You can definitely decant and repitch -- I've done it a few times due to poor scheduling and it hasn't been an issue. Just be sure it doesn't smell off or anything that would indicate some other nasties are growing with the starter.

I'd say that you are fine pitching it in a few weeks but if you really want to make sure you could just pitch a small starter.

Back