Made A Mistake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm more of a winemaker than brewer, but I love chocolate stouts. They're not very common in stores near me, so I make my own. I've got eight carboys going with zinfandel, merlot, concord, several different meads, and a chocolate stout. I racked my chocolate stout the first time after primary fermentation was near complete, and lost track of what I was doing. I added six crushed campden tablets to the beer, mistakenly thinking I was adding it to the concord. Like I said, I made a mistake. I lost track of what I was doing. Will I be able to bottle-condition it? Will I be able to express out the sulfites, add fresh yeast, and proceed as if nothing happened? Or should I pour it out and start over?

Thanks in advance.

From my understanding campden tablets only work on wild yeast and other bacteria. I can't imagine it would really effect your beer any differently than it would effect your wine.
Regardless I wouldn't toss it out I'd proceed with bottling and worst case scenario you just have a crappy beer you have to pour out.

Back