Made a mistake,fermentation too warm.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Addicted

Reaction score
I've done almost 10 extract batches with full boils from the beginning with no mistakes,every batch has been awesome.But my latest,an Excelsior Altbier from midwest i made a mistake with.I'm using the White Labs German Ale/Kolsch WL029 yeast that has a temp range of 65 69.

When i pitched my yeast the room was cooler that expected and i put a small reptile heating pad on the fermenter and it bumped the temp a little to just where i wanted it.But i forgot to un plug it.It has been on overnight and fermenting at 75.I noticed this one has a lot more odor that all my other batches too.I just un plugged it and took the towel off to try and cool it down some.

Will this turn out alright?How bad of a screw up is this?

My guess is you'll have a great beer. Probably fruitier flavored that originally expected. Should be very drinkable. If you were looking to enter it into contests then there well may be an issue. If you're looking just to drink it and enjoy it - you're fine.

You won't know until you drink it, but chances are it will still be good. The higher temps will bring out more esters and a more fruity flavor like Chuck said, but it likely isn't the end of the world. Chalk it up as a lesson learned and take notes about what the temp has done to the flavor so you can use that knowledge going forward when planning your fermentation temps.

I fermented my first beer at 70F+ room temp and as it has aged the frutiness has pretty much subsided to nothing. Its a porter so lighter beers may not undergo the same thing.

If you let it sit on the yeast a little longer than normal, they may clean up some of those esters for you.

Back