Lowering Ferm temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pfish83

Reaction score
Just bought a house and brewed 4 times in the last two weeks for a house warming party in October. My old house had a basement that was perfect to ferment in without having to control it. This house is very efficient and so the beers have been at 72 pretty consistently (wife won't let me lower the house more). This is worrying me though and I haven't had a chance to build out a ferm chamber. I am thinking of using my keezer as a ferm chamber for the time being until I have to keg the beers. Is lowering say, my black IPA, which was pitched with 001 a week ago down to 65 going to help or is it too late and I should just leave at 72?

I also have a porter brewed 4 days ago, a pale ale brewed 1 day ago and a pumpkin beer brewed 2 weeks ago.

If it's been a week the effect of lowering temp is probably negligible. I second the swamp cooler.

I understand the concept of a swamp cooler and can fix it by just putting them in my chest freezer, just wanted to know if its too late to lower halfway through fermentation.

Thanks.

The first 48-72 hours or during "active fermentation" is when temp control matters most. After that, the effects on flavor will be minimal

Low ferm temps are most crucial during the beginning of fermentation. If the beer has fermented longer than a few days, then there is no need to try and lower the temps. Always strive to start the beer out low and then raise the temps.

Latest posts

Back