Lower temp to before adding yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BMClark2210

Reaction score
I'm doing a bock and this is my first temp controlled beer. Should I lower the temp of my wort to 50 before adding the yeast

Do you have an adequate starter? That's what I do with an appropriate starter for the beer. I lower the wort to the temperature I plan to ferment then pitch the yeast.

julioardz said:
Do you have an adequate starter? That's what I do with an appropriate starter for the beer. I lower the wort to the temperature I plan to ferment then pitch the yeast.

I'm using wyeast

You are using Wyeast, but do you plan to make a starter? How many gallons are you making? Sorry for all the questions, I'm just trying to help out. The two biggest factors in making great beer have been pitch rate and temperature control for me. It sounds like you have the temperature under control, but if you grossly under pitch the yeast, you will very likely still have off flavors that won't condition out.

Are you familiar with mrmalty.com pitch rate calculator? This will help you figure out how much yeast you need. One smack pack is hardly ever enough, especially in a big beer and definitely not in a big lager such as a bock.

If you decide to use mrmalty.com, just make sure you change the fermentation type to "lager".

I'm using wyeast

How many packages, and what strain? If you didn't make a starter, and the OG is 1.060 or so, you may need 5 packages or so.

I normally make the starter a week or so before when I make a lager, so I can put it in the fridge and pour off the spent wort. Then I pitch the yeast into the wort when the yeast is about 2-4 degrees cooler than the wort, normally when the wort is 46-48 degrees, and let it rise up to 50 degrees (or whatever my fermentation temperature is for that strain).

Ok sorry for the delay. I was finishing up and cleaning, now the wort is in the keezer cooling down. The yeast strain is 2278 czech pils and no I do not have a starter. I'm quite new to all this so I'm a bit foggy on the whole starter thing do I rely on the smack packs but am very interested in in bc I plan to one day do starters. Anyways I only have the one pack which is now worrying me bc of what you guys have said bc idk when I'll be going back to the brew store so I hope this does the trick. My og was 61. Would this lack of yeast be the cause of my low alcohol content? Btw this was all recommended by my local brew store :/. Guess I should have came on here and asked first.

Anyone have a good site on starters? Or the quick and dirty way u could tell me on here lol. Thanks!

Looking good so far. It's been 7 hours so far.

image-2021064254.jpg

Ok sorry for the delay. I was finishing up and cleaning, now the wort is in the keezer cooling down. The yeast strain is 2278 czech pils and no I do not have a starter. I'm quite new to all this so I'm a bit foggy on the whole starter thing do I rely on the smack packs but am very interested in in bc I plan to one day do starters. Anyways I only have the one pack which is now worrying me bc of what you guys have said bc idk when I'll be going back to the brew store so I hope this does the trick. My og was 61. Would this lack of yeast be the cause of my low alcohol content? Btw this was all recommended by my local brew store :/. Guess I should have came on here and asked first.

Anyone have a good site on starters? Or the quick and dirty way u could tell me on here lol. Thanks!

Here's what Wyeast says on pitch rates:

Pitch rates make a dramatic difference in the final flavor and aroma profile of any beer. Ester production is directly related to yeast growth as are most other flavor and aroma compounds.

A low pitch rate can lead to:
Excess levels of diacetyl
Increase in higher/fusel alcohol formation
Increase in ester formation
Increase in volatile sulfur compounds
High terminal gravities
Stuck fermentations
Increased risk of infection​

High pitch rates can lead to:
Very low ester production
Very fast fermentations
Thin or lacking body/mouthfeel
Autolysis (Yeasty flavors due to lysing of cells)​

Here's a thread on making a yeast starter. You don't need a flask and stir plate. Any large container you can sanitize and keep covered will work. I use a 1 gallon glass jug to make my starters. A stir plate helps, but you can also build a starter by leaving it on the counter and shaking it every time you walk by.

Yooper said:
Great- it took off well so you don't need more yeast. However, 61 degrees is too warm for that strain, and you may have some fruitiness in it. Try your best to ferment that strain at about 55 degrees as a max.

Sorry I guess I should have been more specific lol the OG is 0.061 and the temp is set at 50. I aerate with a paint stirrer and drill so maybe that helped. Thanks btw I feel better lol

julioardz said:
Here's what Wyeast says on pitch rates:

Pitch rates make a dramatic difference in the final flavor and aroma profile of any beer. Ester production is directly related to yeast growth as are most other flavor and aroma compounds.

A low pitch rate can lead to:
Excess levels of diacetyl
Increase in higher/fusel alcohol formation
Increase in ester formation
Increase in volatile sulfur compounds
High terminal gravities
Stuck fermentations
Increased risk of infection

High pitch rates can lead to:
Very low ester production
Very fast fermentations
Thin or lacking body/mouthfeel
Autolysis (Yeasty flavors due to lysing of cells)

Here's a thread on making a yeast starter. You don't need a flask and stir plate. Any large container you can sanitize and keep covered will work. I use a 1 gallon glass jug to make my starters. A stir plate helps, but you can also build a starter by leaving it on the counter and shaking it every time you walk by.

Awesome thanks. I do plan on getting the whole stir plate thing sooner or later but its good to know I don't need one in the mean time lol

Back