Lower FG than expected?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewingChip

Reaction score
Still new to homebrewing, and I recently brewed a 5 gallon wheat extract beer. I followed the recipe to a T on brew day and let it sit for 2 weeks to ferment. The expected OG was 1.046 and it was right on the money.

I added 5 pounds of raspberries and let it sit for another 2 weeks. Just bottled it 4 days ago, and the FG was 1.012. Just for the plain wheat recipe, the expected FG was 1.007. Since I added the berries, I’m not sure if 1.012 (4.46% ABV) was low enough.

The beer tasted tart and smelled great, and there were just some small bubbles at the top of the beer before I bottled. Is this all fine?

Yes. Anything lower than 1.012 on a wheat, especially extract, and i'd start worrying about contamination. Wheat beers don't drop as low as others. I do love my wheat beers, and I've brewed many of them, including with cherries and raspberries.
Sounds to me like you're right where you need to be.

Back