Low Voltage Control Panel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FireManDan

Reaction score
Has anyone built a low voltage panel/control box for their brewing set-up? I haven't found a lot of information or projects for a low voltage set-up. I am currently putting together parts for my project. With that being said I am going to use a couple of Topsflo pumps in my set up and wanted to be able to just plug into the side of my control box. I figured since I was transforming voltage to meet the pump requirements I might as well use the same low voltage for everything else (PID's, switches, etc.)

I would like to run everything at 24v DC. One of the biggest questions I have is how do I take 24v and transform that down to a lower voltage to supply the pumps with the optimum power. I'm sure it is apparent that I don't have a lot of knowledge when it comes to DC. My panel at this point will only measure temperatures and house the two on and off switches for the pumps. I will NOT have the PID's, as of now, controlling anything. Any advice, feedback, or direction would be greatly

I'm just wrapping up a controller for my new 24v tiny pumps (wrapped up most of the wiring last night). It controls 2 pumps and incorporates a float switch control option for using a grant as well. I did have to step down to 12v for the liquid level sensor board, but I just used a cheap step down converter. Here is the AC to DC 24v power supply I used and these are the pumps I used. I wanted the ability to throttle the pump speed rather than using a ball valve like you would for a mag drive pump like a chugger as these are direct drive. What I came up with is this PWM controller, which at least so far seems to work great. I didn't like the push button switch that came with it as it defaulted to "ON" when powered up. Fortunately, I was able to just remove it and wire in my own toggle switch. I can turn the pumps down to a trickle at 5 or 6% power without stopping. I have only used this controller and pumps for some initial testing and they seem to work fantastic, but I have not had a chance to try them on a batch of beer yet so I can't tell you how long they will last. At ~$15 a pump though, I can afford to keep 1 or 2 spares around. If you want more info, let me know. I was planning on doing a build thread after I button everything up and get to do some further testing.

I'm just wrapping up a controller for my new 24v tiny pumps (wrapped up most of the wiring last night). It controls 2 pumps and incorporates a float switch control option for using a grant as well. I did have to step down to 12v for the liquid level sensor board, but I just used a cheap step down converter. Here is the AC to DC 24v power supply I used and these are the pumps I used. I wanted the ability to throttle the pump speed rather than using a ball valve like you would for a mag drive pump like a chugger as these are direct drive. What I came up with is this PWM controller, which at least so far seems to work great. I didn't like the push button switch that came with it as it defaulted to "ON" when powered up. Fortunately, I was able to just remove it and wire in my own toggle switch. I can turn the pumps down to a trickle at 5 or 6% power without stopping. I have only used this controller and pumps for some initial testing and they seem to work fantastic, but I have not had a chance to try them on a batch of beer yet so I can't tell you how long they will last. At ~$15 a pump though, I can afford to keep 1 or 2 spares around. If you want more info, let me know. I was planning on doing a build thread after I button everything up and get to do some further testing.

Hey thanks for the reply I'm not sure how I didn't repond to thank you earlier.

No worries, this project has gone on the back burner for now. Everything worked great with cold water tests but I ran into issues with real batches. One pump froze up and the other doesn't want to throttle down like I'd like. Not sure if it's the pumps at fault or the PWM's. I think I just slowed them too much to the point that they quit pumping and over heated. They are so quiet, you can't tell when they stop flowing. I might have been better off to use a combination of speed regulation and throttling the outflow. The grant controller did work well. I think augiedoggy has had good success controlling these pumps, he might be able to give you some good advice too.

No big deal man. I think I was so deep in my project that in combination with work and kids sports and a pregnant wife I totally forgot to reply and thank you.

I'm sorry to hear that your pumps didn't perform as expected.

I ended up buying two Topsflo 24v pumps. Although they aren't as expensive as the chuggers or march pumps they still ran about $120 each so not too much cheaper. I went with them because of the low voltage dc motors. I ended up buying this to install into my control panel, built a few cables to extend the power and installed a couple of these to operate the pumps with.

As far as throttling I don't do that electronically as these pumps are equipped with overload and /or dry protection. I have always been taught that in most cases even with larger pumps that it is better to have a valve on the outlet side somewhere to control flow.

I took my brewstand on it's maiden voyage this last weekend and I really couldn't have asked for too much more. I got the job done and hit my numbers without any headaches. I do wish these pumps had a bit more power but once again they did the job.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back