Low-Temp Fermentation Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iowa Brewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey all,

Finally got around to another brew (been since March!), and am doing a Brown IPA that ferments at 63F with Omega's West Coast Ale I (OYL-OO4).

The yeast was older (March 23 birthday), so I made a 2L starter last Friday that really got hopping and overflowed a bit. Put her in the fridge for 2.5 days, brought it up to room temp during yesterday's brew day, decanted, and pitched.

I notice the krausen is pretty minimal, today, and the bubbling (which is not indicative of much, of course) is quite mellow, considering it had a 1.062 OG.

The recipe said this one should take a week to ferment before dry-hopping, but should I expect a longer fermentation time at 63F? Am I right to assume that lower temp slows things down?

Many thanks!

Lower temp will run slower, if in doubt, check with hydrometer.

Some of my lagers in 50sF take 10 to 14 days before they slow down to keg and spund.

If you can get it to work out to finish gravity 1.012 or lower, it will likely be good beer.

Hey all,

Finally got around to another brew (been since March!), and am doing a Brown IPA that ferments at 63F with Omega's West Coast Ale I (OYL-OO4).

The yeast was older (March 23 birthday), so I made a 2L starter last Friday that really got hopping and overflowed a bit. Put her in the fridge for 2.5 days, brought it up to room temp during yesterday's brew day, decanted, and pitched.

I notice the krausen is pretty minimal, today, and the bubbling (which is not indicative of much, of course) is quite mellow, considering it had a 1.062 OG.

The recipe said this one should take a week to ferment before dry-hopping, but should I expect a longer fermentation time at 63F? Am I right to assume that lower temp slows things down?

Many thanks!

If you believe everything a recipe says, I have a bridge to sell you. I'll often wait 2 to 3 weeks to dry hop. I might be able to dry hop sooner but I know my beer will be ready to drink at about the same time either way as it takes a bit of time for yeast and trub to settle out and the beer to mature. With the colder temps the yeast will work slower and could quit early. I might suggest you let it have about 4 days at 63, then let it warm to low 70's. You want to control the temperature while the yeast are eating the easy to digest sugars so they don't throw too many esters or fusel alcohol but as the ferment slows the temperature isn't very critical.

Lower temp will run slower, if in doubt, check with hydrometer.

Some of my lagers in 50sF take 10 to 14 days before they slow down to keg and spund.

If you can get it to work out to finish gravity 1.012 or lower, it will likely be good beer.

Sounds good, Dland. Thanks!

If you believe everything a recipe says, I have a bridge to sell you.
Good point!

I'll often wait 2 to 3 weeks to dry hop. I might be able to dry hop sooner but I know my beer will be ready to drink at about the same time either way as it takes a bit of time for yeast and trub to settle out and the beer to mature. With the colder temps the yeast will work slower and could quit early. I might suggest you let it have about 4 days at 63, then let it warm to low 70's. You want to control the temperature while the yeast are eating the easy to digest sugars so they don't throw too many esters or fusel alcohol but as the ferment slows the temperature isn't very critical.

Thanks for this, RM-MN! I'll give that a try. I'll definitely give it that rest in the low 70s.

Back