Low starting gravity, keeping anyway!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skullfingr

Reaction score
Just made a pumpkin ale! Used the rest of my 50/50 2row/6row mix with pumpkin and spices. The wort smelled and tasted JUST like pumpkin pie, which is good, but the starting gravity was about 1.028 - 1.03 which is low but I figure it's worth keeping for the flavor alone. It's a bummer that the alcohol will be that low but I suppose it's not a complete loss!

Very strange. I took another measurement because I was going to add some brown sugar to raise the gravity. I shook it up in order to get everything mixed well for the measurement, and now it's reading 1.042. There was some emulsification so perhaps that was the problem!

Was the wort cooled down to room temperature?

if not then you would need to make adjustments, depending on how warm you would need to add a few gravity points.

for instance I think my hydrometer says at 80* you need to add 0.020 to your reading

Cheers, hope this helps and good luck with the brew sounds great

Latest posts

Back