Low Pressure Burners and High Pressure Adjustable Regulator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kegerators

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have (3) 10" hurricane burners mounted on a flat level stand. Propane is run through the rail and into solenoid valves controlled by a relay/switch control panel.

I have tried 3 or 4 different types of regulators including a variety of low pressure, high pressure with and without ball adjustment valves. I just donj;t seem to be able to find a happy middle for the flame output.

The low pressure regulator doesn't put out enough heat. Takes 40 mins to heat a 8-10 gallon pot of water to 168F.

I tried a high pressure regulator, but it was like a jet engine and put WAY to much out, so I quickly reverted back to the low pressure.

Has anyone used an adjustable regulator with these low pressure Hurricane burners with success?

Propane 30 PSI Regulator & Pressure Gauge Assembly seen here... (http://www.tejassmokers.com/gasregulators.htm) - Model# COMRI-30

I like that they have a pressure gauge to see with PSI you are using, but not sure if the combination of high pressure regulator and low pressure burner is a bomb waiting to happen.

Any insight is appreciated.

Welcome the club, honestly there is no way around this. Your time to temp seems decent for a low pressure burner, high pressure burners are noisy and should be placed further from the bottom of the kettle while low press burners should be 4-6".

With low pressure you need to make sure you are pushing enough volume of LP, a 1/4" ID supply line is way too small, also high BTU regulators help too. I spent a lot if time figuring out what works best for my 10 gallon system, I settled on a 23tip jet burner that I customized to 8 tips, 23 was way too much? I can heat 13 gallons of water from 60 to 170 in an hour with low pressure LP. I'm using low pressure LP because I'm using a honeywell valve that is not designed for high pressure LP, I have considered splitting the gas system and going high pressure LP on the BK and low pressure on the HLT, I don't heat my mash tun because I use a HERMS coil.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Welcome the club, honestly there is no way around this. Your time to temp seems decent for a low pressure burner, high pressure burners are noisy and should be placed further from the bottom of the kettle while low press burners should be 4-6".

With low pressure you need to make sure you are pushing enough volume of LP, a 1/4" ID supply line is way too small, also high BTU regulators help too. I spent a lot if time figuring out what works best for my 10 gallon system, I settled on a 23tip jet burner that I customized to 8 tips, 23 was way too much? I can heat 13 gallons of water from 60 to 170 in an hour with low pressure LP. I'm using low pressure LP because I'm using a honeywell valve that is not designed for high pressure LP, I have considered splitting the gas system and going high pressure LP on the BK and low pressure on the HLT, I don't heat my mash tun because I use a HERMS coil.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I'm trying to accomplish the same task. I have an adjustable high-pressure lp connection to the burners currently and would like to split off into a low-pressure burner for the HLT and the Honeywell. I have 2" black pipe going to the burners now. What would be the proper regulator to come off of the high-pressure system and step down into a low-pressure regulator? I haven't really seen anything that is 1/2" NPT in and out. Is it okay to step down into a smaller regulator for the low-pressure regulator?

Thanks!

Back