Low OG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerBrewerTrain

Reaction score
Started a 5 gallon batch this morning 50-60% two row malt, sparge the water added about 500 ml of water to get the carboy to 5 gallons of worts, took a OG and its at 1.022% max ?

Did you mix the added water into the wort and not just pour it in? It needs to be slowly stirred to mix well. Then take another reading IF you havent added the yeast yet.

Did you mix the added water into the wort and not just pour it in? It needs to be slowly stirred to mix well. Then take another reading IF you havent added the yeast yet.

Havent added the yeast yet, mixed the worts and took another reading its still the same, i wounder if its that my grains didnt milled fine enough

Possibly did you do BIAB? Maybe give us the recipe as well so its easier to try and see what happened. What was your process for the brew day?

Possibly did you do BIAB? Maybe give us the recipe as well so its easier to try and see what happened. What was your process for the brew day?

didnt biab,

recipe for 5 gallon batch:
Grains
2lb Two row
1.25lb Maris otter malt
1lb Chocolate malt
.75 Brown suga malt
.75 Roasted barley
Hops
2oz Kent-Goldings Hop
.7oz Colombus Hop

Oats
8oz Scotch oats
4oz Flake oats

extras
20ml Vanilla
4oz Cacao nibs

The oats and extras i mashed separately from the grains started mash at 165F took twenty mins to drop temp to 158 where i held that temp for 60 mins 157F-159F this is my third batch using this grain ratio with the og being the same and first i thought it was because i mashed at 200F+ and burn off most the sugar, the second time i thought it would because i added alot of water and didnt sparge and now i think its my grain milling or recipe

When I put the recipe into BrewMate I get an OG of 1.025 and 1.006 FG @ 2.46% abv so your OG is real close to what is expected with the ingredients and amounts that you used.

Do you use any of the recipe software that is available to build recipes?

First time hearing about brewmate! Its gonna be that i'm not mashing with enough grain Whats my best way to get my abv up Add sugar ?

There is also BeerSmith that most people use. Im cheap so I use the free BrewMate and it has worked well so far.

There is also BeerSmith that most people use. Im cheap so I use the free BrewMate and it has worked well so far.

Sweet thanks for the info, ill use Brewmate as well, i added sugar to the worts and have a og of 1.041, I'll mash with more grains next time

Sweet thanks for the info, ill use Brewmate as well, i added sugar to the worts and have a og of 1.041, I'll mash with more grains next time

I dunno if I would add that much sugar, you'll end up with a really dry beer. I would recommend actually making another batch with a higher OG and mixing the 2. You'll end up with more beer, that actually tastes decent.

Also when building recipes, take a look at a few other highly rated recipes and get an idea of what goes into that particular style. And then after that start working on your own recipes.

Back