Low OG?!?!?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chriskaiser90

Reaction score
Can using a grain sock lower OG? I have been getting a low OG even though I'm adding 1/3 of the grain the recipes call for.

I don't think using a grain sock would effect OG (biab brewers feel free to correct me here since I haven't done that it a while).

I'm a little confused about the later part of the question though...if you use 1/3 of the grain called for in the recipe then you would by definition get less sugars.

Definitely need some more information here. All grain or extract? Partial or full boils?

yeah sorry I was in a rush as I was posting this. I have been adding and EXTRA 1/3 of the grain to my recipes and my OG is still coming up short. I am doing all grain 1 gallon batches and have been using a scale to get exact numbers in weight. Here's my most recent recipe:

CHINOOK IPA

MALT
2# Pale Ale
.5# Crystal 40
.2# Victory
.1# Munich

TOTAL:2.7# Malt

HOPS:
1.1 oz Chinook divided into 10 and added every 6 minutes.

I Steeped the grains at 152 degrees for 60 minutes and sparged at 160 degrees.

Basically if I did a 5 gallon batch I would have used 13.5# of grain. My OG came out to be 1.042-1.043 while I was looking for 1.053. Can this be from using a grain sock?

Thanks for all your help!

Hop additions are excessive. Should be able to group some of those together.

Only thing I can think of is there is not enough room in the sock to make sure all of the grain is soaking and extracting the sugars.

I have not invested in a mash ton yet. Is it possible to add grains loosely without a sock in my "mash kettle" if you will and then strain out into boil kettle? My only concern is that some grains will sneak through my strainer as it isn's as fine as a sock creating tannins. Is this even something I should be worried about?

What is your mash kettle? They have larger BIAB nylon bags that will help disperse the grain better as opposed to just a muslin bag.

The tannins come from heating the husks of the grains too high, your temperatures looked good though. You could probably go a little higher on your sparge if you wanted.

Edit: you can even transfer your "non-socked" beer tea through a paint strainer bag into the boil kettle

By "mash kettle" I mean I just mash the grains in a kettle on my stove. Haven't had a problem burning grains on the bottom yet just as long as I keep it at a consistent temp.

Great I'm going to have to try loosely mashing the grains then using a paint stained bag over the boil kettle.

Thanks I appreciate your reply!

Back