Low og reading

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrcmb

Novice Brewer.....Thanks to Covid
Reaction score
Yesterday I did my first all grain brew(citra session ipa). My OG came out at 1.010. When I did my mash it got to low(142) so I added some more Hot water until I got it to 153 and let it mash for another 45 min.

Should I scrap it and start over or is there something that I can do to boost the abv while in the carboy ?

thanks

Before you do anything else, are you sure you are really at 1.010? First step should be to double check that. That seems really low, even if you added a lot of water. So my first thought is measurement error.

Second step, I guess, is to figure out what the process was that got you there and think how you'll deal with it next time. Even if you added a lot of water to the mash, that should be fine -- it would just mean less water to sparge (since you are aiming for a post-mash volume target as well as OG). If you used the same amount of sparge water, I guess that could do it...so next time you'll know.

Third step...what to do now. You *can* add kettle fermentable sugars. But if your beer was really diluted that much, everything else is off too -- including hop bitterness and flavor. So my advice would be just to dump the beer and consider this your trouble-shooting session.

Last, keep your head up and brew another as soon as you can. Almost everyone has problem-filled session or two when they are getting used to new processes or equipment. After a few sessions, you'll know your process and setup.

Good luck!

Since it sat for 15 hours could I still take a reading or since I pitched the yeast it wouldn’t be accurate

I would definitely take another reading, even though it might turn out a little lower than actual OG. It will still tell you something. First, check the hydrometer on water - it's possible the paper scale slipped and is way off.

Well I just grabbed my hydrometer and it looks like it’s wet on the inside of it. My guess is that I have a crack in it. So we shall see. I’ll order another one

Well I just grabbed my hydrometer and it looks like it’s wet on the inside of it. My guess is that I have a crack in it. So we shall see. I’ll order another one
I would definitely take another reading, even though it might turn out a little lower than actual OG. It will still tell you something. First, check the hydrometer on water - it's possible the paper scale slipped and is way off.
I put it in water and it read At 1
I took a reading with it again and read at 1.010 again.

Does the wort taste notably sweet? If so, then it's not at 1.010 and you have hydrometer failure. Let it ride.

If not, or just barely perceptibly sweet, then dump and re-try.

I put it in water and it read At 1
I took a reading with it again and read at 1.010 again.
How many scales does your hydro have? Some have up to three different scales, and new brewers sometimes read the incorrect scale. A picture of the hydro might be useful.

Also, did you brew from a kit, or build your own grain bill? Did you verify that the grain was crushed? Most kits are delivered with crushed grain, but some can be ordered uncrushed.

Please don't be offended by these pretty basic questions, I'm just trying to think of things that might cause the OG to come out so low, and cover all the bases.

Brew on :mug:

Does the wort taste notably sweet? If so, then it's not at 1.010 and you have hydrometer failure. Let it ride.

It tasted like straight hops

How many scales does your hydro have? Some have up to three different scales, and new brewers sometimes read the incorrect scale. A picture of the hydro might be useful.

Also, did you brew from a kit, or build your own grain bill? Did you verify that the grain was crushed? Most kits are delivered with crushed grain, but some can be ordered uncrushed.

Please don't be offended by these pretty basic questions, I'm just trying to think of things that might cause the OG to come out so low, and cover all the bases.

Brew on :mug:
no offense at all. I appreciate it more than anything.

Well it was unmilled so i'm guessing that was my problem.

no offense at all. I appreciate it more than anything.

Well it was unmilled so i'm guessing that was my problem.
Yep. Grains need to be milled so the water can get in there and draw out all the starches. Can’t make any alcohol without the sugars.

I wonder if I let it ferment for the 3 weeks if it would just taste like hop water lol. I hear the airlock bubbling

I’m all good now. Did a galaxy smash over the weekend. Learned a lot. Thanks for all the tips

Attachments

• 87B2114F-FFF7-427C-998A-3021A8EB2477.jpeg
    87B2114F-FFF7-427C-998A-3021A8EB2477.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 6
Back