Low O.G.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J_P

Reaction score
So I just finished brewing the Bacon smoked red ale from Northern Brewer and the O.G. for the kit shows 1.058 and I added 2lbs of corn sugar which should have upped the O.G. but the reading I got was 1.040 what did I do wrong?

My guess would be that your hydrometer reading was just off. Did you take it immediately after shaking/stirring your fermenter?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Home Brew mobile app

Do you have a measured five gallons in the fermentor? Did you get the wort thoroughly mixed during aeration so it is no longer stratified with layers high in sugars and layers lower in sugars?

You may have to much volume in your fermentor or your sample was from a stratified layer lower in sugars.

With an extract kit the OG is almost always right on if the volumes are correct.

The two pounds of added corn sugar will dry the beer and give a thinner mouth feel.

I have a feeling that I didt mix thoroughly. I added the sugar to spike the abv level a little.

Back