Low Gravity Ferments Less Vigorous?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reuliss

Reaction score
Hello. Pitched a single vial of 002 into 6 gal of 1.035 OG wort. I've never made a beer that low in OG, so perhaps this is normal, but I did not experience a ferment with the same vigor that I'm used to seeing with this yeast. Fermented at 63. Krausen formed, but there was never enough pressure build up to make the airlock bubble. Is that typical under these conditions? My only concern is that a ferment without a vigorous turnover of the wort will leave some unwanted by products.

Less sugar for the yeast to consume will be lower alcohol production as well as the other by-product of fermentation - CO2. I'd think less vigorous would be normal in a really low starting gravity, for the same reason a really high gravity monster usually requires a blow off tube for a few days early in the fermentation cycle.

Less fermentables, less CO2 and alcohol production.

Yeah, but it shouldn't be THAT dead. How much headspace in your fermentor?

Hello. Pitched a single vial of 002 into 6 gal of 1.035 OG wort. I've never made a beer that low in OG, so perhaps this is normal, but I did not experience a ferment with the same vigor that I'm used to seeing with this yeast. Fermented at 63. Krausen formed, but there was never enough pressure build up to make the airlock bubble. Is that typical under these conditions? My only concern is that a ferment without a vigorous turnover of the wort will leave some unwanted by products.

No worries. As long as the pitch rate is good (it sounds like yours is close) and the beer temp is kept in the optimal range for the strain, you need not be concerned about having a "vigorous turnover" of the wort. For most brews, I actually prefer that the fermentation go slow and steady vs. a big eruption (which often indicates too warm).

The trick with 002/1968ESB is to start to warm it up into the 67-70*F range once the ferment begins to settle down. If you leave it at 63*, it can floc out early and fail to fully attenuate.

If krausen formed you're fine, more than likely there was not a seal if your airlock never bubbled (obligated to say use a blowoff tube).

Back