Low Final Gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

husker1985

Reaction score
I just took the hydrometer reading about a week after brewing (I brewed a hef) and it was about 2 points lower than the final gravity (it started out about 5 points lower than the original gravity). What does this mean? Is it normal?

No big deal. It's normal to be a little off. There are many things that can cause gravity to be off. In your case it isn't enough to even worry about.. If it's only about a week in fermentation, let it sit for 2 more weeks then check gravity again. At that point it should be ready for bottling.

2 thousands of a point? thats really nothing at all lol. Sometimes, if you have a bit too much water if can cause the grav to be low, not enough causes it to be high. otherwise, maybe the yeast just did an ass kicking job of doing its job and you have some bad ass beer ready for the drinking!! In any case +1 to wait another 10-14 before you even look at it, I dont even take a grav reading until like 14-20 days.

Hefs are meant to be enjoyed young. Take another sample after a day or two; if it is the same gravity, and it TASTES ready, then go ahead and bottle.

Sounds about done to me. Definitely nothing to worry about. As stated earlier, take another sample in a couple days and bottle it up.

I also agree, Hefeweizen's are at their finest while they are young.

Back