Low FG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RayHeartburn

Reaction score
Hey,

I have just brewed a clone of a DIPA. The recipe est. OG to be 1.072 and FG 1.017.

I just bottled this and my OG was at 1.073, but my FG was down to 1.011. The recipe said to mash at 64C (147F) for 60 min. I do BIAB and my mash was going between 63.5C-64.5C (146-148). I tasted the hydro sample, and it tasted pretty darn good, but a bit alcoholic, which is to be expected at this point.

Grain bill was:
Pale Malt, Maris Otter 92.2%
Crystal 40 3.9%
Crystal 80 3.9%

Yeast: WLP013 London Ale

Is the low FG too be expected, or can i have done something wrong?

PS: Im not too worried, as the sample tasted great, but i think it was quite a bit off, compared to the recipe.

Cheers

Looking into a bunch of UK yeast strains for an ESB, I was finding that people were sometimes getting higher than expected attenuation (into the 80's) with these strains rather than the quoted 60ish-75%.

Thanks for fast reply :)

Yeah, it may come down to the yeast, beersmith says 84% apparent attenuation.

Cheers

That's a pretty low mash temp. The recipes usually predict an average that will vary depending on mash temperature and yeast strain used. I'd be happy with that FG for that beer!

That's a pretty low mash temp. The recipes usually predict an average that will vary depending on mash temperature and yeast strain used. I'd be happy with that FG for that beer!

This is spot on. It's your mash temp. Mashing in the upper 140's is pretty low and will produce a much more fermentable wort. If you wanted a higher FG, I would mash around 152-154F range.

Having said that, I really like my IPAs and APAs on the drier side so that FG sounds great to me!

Back