Low FG every time, can't narrow it down

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paraordnance

Reaction score
I been brewing for few months now, 7 batches to be exactly. I started with two pre-hopped extract kits, then moved to DME/steeping grains, and now done 2 BIAB AG batches. Every time my beer comes out dry and with FG well below 1.010 for all styles and yeast
I brewed Hefe with 3068, 2 batches of Kolsch with 2565 (second batch - washed yeast), Belgian Pale Ale with WLP400, I used cooper dry yeast as well as US-05 in Cream Ale and Notthingham. They all seem to attenuate very well and always bring down FG below 1.010 mark regardless of SG. My hefe turned out to be 7.1% :tank: from 1.064 to 1.009 which is way out of style and not very pleasant to drink.
It got to the point that I'm affraid brew anything with SG higher than 1.055 because I dont like my beers too strong (above 6% ABV). I know I can control dryness little better with AG with proper mash temperatures but why my extract batches all attenuated so good? I heard rumors that some people can't get past 1.020 with extract, I been as low as 1.007 with my extract Kolsch.
In regards to AG I ended up mashing my Kolsch at 154F, little higher than suggested 150F and it still went down from 1.058 to 1.009 in less than a week. Thats 6.3% ABV Kolsch :( I know I overshoot my SG though. Should I try to mash at higher temps next time to get some body in my beers or everything seems right to you? :confused:

How are you taking gravity readings? Refractometer, hydrometer, what temps?

How are you taking gravity readings?

hydrometer. For SG it usually just before pitching yeast at reccomended temp for that yeast. FG usually take after a week or so when visually fermentation slows down, then just leave it in primary for couple more weeks to finish, sometimes take another reading just before transfering to keg, these are at room temperature around 68-70F according to fermometer

I assume you use samples for both OG and FG at 70F of close to that?

Thanks. Sounds like stupid questions, but just starting with the basics.
I still think that there may be something with the way you are taking gravity readings, not sure what.
Specially with extracts, it is very standard to get a high FG, not too low as you are getting. One thing that can drive to low FG is infection, but I'm sure you would know if you had one.
Let me think bit.

Thanks. Sounds like stupid questions, but just starting with the basics.
I still think that there may be something with the way you are taking gravity readings, not sure what.
Specially with extracts, it is very standard to get a high FG, not too low as you are getting. One thing that can drive to low FG is infection, but I'm sure you would know if you had one.
Let me think bit.

all my batches turned out great, there was no infection as I can tell. My Belgian and Kolsch were delicious (kicked keg in a week) and probably had good dryness for style, but I was a little confused with my hefe. May be its too early to jump to conclusions. I'm still trying to dial my BIAB process to be consistent

Calibrate your thermometers is step #1 in this process of debugging, usually. When I moved to AG I had a lot of dry beers as well and had to play around with higher mash temps and the like to really tune it in.

What brand/type of DME do you use? I rarely use extract but I thought I had read that some brands put some simple sugar in their DME. Some of those yeasts will attenuate pretty highly, the Nottingham does and often Hefe yeasts do too.

Make sure your hydrometer is reading correctly (i.e. 1.000) in water at the appropriate temperature (most are calibrate at 60F, I think).

If it's calibrated at 60 and you're reading at 70, it is going to read a little low, though not more than a point or so. If it's below 1.000 in water at the appropriate temp, that's your problem. It's the simplest thing to rule out.

What brand/type of DME do you use? I rarely use extract but I thought I had read that some brands put some simple sugar in their DME. Some of those yeasts will attenuate pretty highly, the Nottingham does and often Hefe yeasts do too.

Briess DME in Belgian, some generic (no name) extract in others

Is the DME and steeping grains the only source of fermentables? I.e., are you adding any sugar?

I never add any sugars to my brews, including pre-hopped kits. Grains and DME is the only thing I use. Since moved to AG I only used 1 lb of DME to boost SG since my efficency was low, around 68-70% right now.

If mashing check your thermometer, I have had that problem. I am going to assume you aren't fermenting over 70F. So that leaves me to believe possible infection. Not all infections are noticeable right away which would explain why you can't notice it. In general extract doesn't attenuate that well but I have heard of some dme suppliers using simple sugar so that could also be it.

If mashing check your thermometer, I have had that problem. I am going to assume you aren't fermenting over 70F. So that leaves me to believe possible infection. Not all infections are noticeable right away which would explain why you can't notice it. In general extract doesn't attenuate that well but I have heard of some dme suppliers using simple sugar so that could also be it.

I strictly control fermentation temperatures as reccomended by manufacturer, if its Kolsch its 60F, I always make a starters with liquid yeast and very particular about my sanitation technics and avoid secondaries. And except the first extract batch, I always add DME in last few minutes.

paraordnance....per my previous post, are you sure your hydrometer is accurate and that you're using it at the appropriate temp? it's not uncommon for cheap ones to be a couple of points off and if you're another point off because you're checking at a higher temp than calibrated, 1.012 all of a sudden becomes 1.009.

paraordnance....per my previous post, are you sure your hydrometer is accurate and that you're using it at the appropriate temp? it's not uncommon for cheap ones to be a couple of points off and if you're another point off because you're checking at a higher temp than calibrated, 1.012 all of a sudden becomes 1.009.

that is very possible, as well as my temperature control. I use digital not calibrated thermometer. My hydrometer came with the kit and it looks very cheap and I never calibrated it. May be thats where I should start looking

I had the same issue when I started AG...had a thread on it a long time ago. I kept having beers finish around 1.008, particularly with Wyeast 1056, getting over 80% attenuation. I finally figured out my dial thermometer was accurate at freezing, it was accurate at boiling, but in the 150's it was about 5 degrees off so my "152" degree mash was actually 147. I changed to a Ranco digital and now I do not have that problem.

Latest posts

Back