Low fermenter volume

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirtydingus

Reaction score
Did my usual water calc. to have 6 gal in fermenter after the boil. It has consistently worked for me. Ended up w/4gal in the fermenter. Way short. Gravity was right on 1.050. Needed to top up to at least 5 gal. Can you make a 1 gal batch of 1.050 wort on the stove w/RO water and some DME to top it off? If so, how much dme? Thanx.

Did my usual water calc. to have 6 gal in fermenter after the boil. It has consistently worked for me. Ended up w/4gal in the fermenter. Way short. Gravity was right on 1.050. Needed to top up to at least 5 gal. Can you make a 1 gal batch of 1.050 wort on the stove w/RO water and some DME to top it off? If so, how much dme? Thanx.
Well if you were a gallon short and you hit your intended OG then something went wrong with calculation or the mash because if you mash efficiently and boiled off an extra 2 gallons you would be much higher. That being said, you can absolutely do what your are saying you will just need to calculate how much DME/LME you would need to make the wort you will be adding to the fermenter the same as in it (or you could add more and boost the gravity, that’s your call). Just make sure to be sterile and cool the new wort to proper pitching temps before you add it.

just did a quick calculation for you. Looks like 1.25 Lbs per gallon of water will give you right around a 1.050. So if your topping up to 5, that’s all you’ll need. If you wanted go back to six like you intended, double both. Just know all top ups will change the flavor and dilute your hop addition(lower the IBUS).

According to How to Brew, DME is in the range of 40 - 43 ppg. If you know what your is, you can use it. If not, figure 41.5. Targeting 1.050 (50 gravity points), 50/41.5 =1.20 lbs of DME for 1 gallon. No need to boil for an hour - I'd just boil about 10 minutes to pasteurize everything.

Three thoughts:
  1. Your low volume could be because of greater boil off - due to time, a different boil kettle, or a harder boil
  2. Your low volume could be due to more of your wort being absorbed by hops, if you used more hops in this batch.
  3. If it were me, I wouldn't top it off. You hit your gravity, let it ferment out and you'll have the beer you made. Are you going to adjust for bitterness, body, etc? Figure out your volume issue and start planning your next batch.

Back