Low ester yeast for Scottish Ales

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lmarkis

Reaction score
In a couple weeks I will be brewing my first Scottish Ale be it a 70, 80, or Wee Heavy. I'm not too anal about staying within guidelines, but if I am brewing a certain type of beer I want it to reflect the style accurately. I have been reading about Scottish Ales and learning about the history and one characteristics is that they have little to no ester profile. As of right now I don't have the ability to keep my beers cool below normal house temps (65f-70f) which would help me eliminate or lower the esters.

My worry is that I get one of the Scottish or Irish yeasts and with the normal fermentation temp I will get too much ester in the beer. I had read it was recommended to use an American Ale yeast that naturally has very little ester profile, but with using this type of yeast will I lose any staple characteristics in the beer I would have normally had using the Scottish or Irish Ale yeasts?

Does anyone recommend a good recipe from this site or another you had great success with?

Looking forward to your responses. Thanks.

Recently made a Wee Heavy using the Hopscotch recipe from Brewmaster Supply. WOW. Blown away and can't wait to make more. Scaled it down to 5g though.

FWIW, it used a Scottish yeast, think Wyeast but can't remember offhand... whatever the recipe called for... anyway, worked like a charm, is the best Wee Heavy I've ever had including commercial! Nice smoky/peaty (yet not overdone!) flavours...

Next batch will be the Oskar Blues Old Chub Clone (from this forum), having stumbled across the orig down south; that does call for Wyeast American Ale 1056, will be interesting to compare...

I love Wyeast Thames Valley 1275 when I want to make something more mellow than the Irish yeast. I've used the Scottish yeast also and it finishes nice and smooth if you ferment on the lower side.

I love Wyeast Thames Valley 1275 when I want to make something more mellow than the Irish yeast. I've used the Scottish yeast also and it finishes nice and smooth if you ferment on the lower side.

+1 on the Thames Valley. I also like the Scottish yeast as well for it's "earthiness" when fermented in the middle of it's temperature range. Thames Valley is probably as clean as you'll get for a UK yeast though.

I just tried some of Munton's Highland Heavy Ale, pitched end of last Sept., so, it's DONE. Plenty of flavor, but would like more 'mouthfeel'.
Anyway, I used a good-sized starter of Wyeast 1728. Am pleased with the flavor, not too 'estery/fruity', but coulda used a bit more EtOH, a bit more prime, etc. Also, that yeast settles like concrete. Next is to get some glycerol and try to freeze some for future($6 a pouch, ouch). Good luck.

I used Thames Valley once in an ESB and I really liked it, but it was very minerally, not really clean tasting.

I use the Wyeast 1728 for my Scottish Ales and love the character, although I ferment a little colder than you're looking at (I usually go 60-62). Haven't ever used Thames Valley so no opinion. Haven't tried 001/1056/US-05 in a Scottish Ale despite also seeing it recommended (I know JZ recommends it in BCS). I have a hard time seeing it providing the right character, but it might be worth a shot.

Good point on the low fermentation temp - we're usually in the 60-65 range.

Confirmed, the Wee Heavy was from Brewmaster's Warehouse (got it wrong in my earlier post), Tim's Wee Heavy Hopscotch in the Strong Scotch Ale category... ours kicked it pretty hard at 11.3%, though volume was low (my error)... I'd just about try to knock out a 10gal batch of it next time, it was so awesome...

Thanks everyone for your input. I was unable to get the White Labs started before the brew day and my local Homebrew supplier does not sell Wyest, so I went with two packets of S-04 rehydrated. Closed the vents in the pantry and put it on the floor. Should be a constant 64F. Next time I'll be able to use the White Labs. Thanks again!

Back