Low carbonation after 2 wks of force carbing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poppy360

Reaction score
I'm trying to force carbonate two kegs for this weekend and am not having too good of luck.

I have to carbonate them at room temp (68F) so I've had them at 40 PSI for two weeks. They stopped taking anymore gas a few days ago, so I thought they were done. Today, I put some ice in the jockey box and gave them both a pour. Both kegs were very lightly carbonated but not anything near the level that is desired.

Is there any way that I can get these to carbonate by this Saturday? I've started shaking the kegs to help in carbing them and they seem to be accepting more gas into the kegs.

Is there anything else I can do? If I HAVE to I'll go buy a Sanyo 4912 but that's really a last resort. Is it possible to carb these kegs in 5 days? :confused:

You really need to get them cold. Liquids won't absorb much gas at room temp.
Keep them under pressure and get them cold. Doesn't have to be a fridge, could be a garbage can and a bunch of ice, but you need to to get them cold and keep them cold.

I can do that, but I won't know what pressure to set the regulator at since I won't have a set temp. Any ideas?

Put a thermometer in the garbage can w/ the kegs and ice. Then you'll know the temp.

I am doing this all from memory as I have not been brewing in a decade or so, but this is how I have been carbonating some sodas using a "carbonator" and 2 liter bottle, should work with a keg also.

Once cold it will take a lot more carbonation, but not necessarily fast. To force carbonate fast get the kegs really cold. Put in a bucket of ice, water and salt. Let sit for a day or so until they are cold through. Put a head of pressure on the keg, then roll or shake up the keg. The head of pressure will go away as the CO2 is absorbed into the beer. Put some more pressure in the keg, shake, roll or whatever. Let sit for a few minutes to settle down and sample, repeat if you want more carbonation.
My guess would be 30 minutes of effort should get your beer carbonated.

Latest posts

Back