Low carb level

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve50

Reaction score
I brewed a gum all head clone. Added 3oz DME to 12 oz water, l kegged and let sit for 3 weeks. Went to pour last night and there was little carbonation. So I turned the psi to30, purged and set the psi to 12. Will this carb me up in a week. Should I set to pour at 8 psi?
Thanks Steve:tank:

I brewed a gum all head clone. Added 3oz DME to 12 oz water, l kegged and let sit for 3 weeks. Went to pour last night and there was little carbonation. So I turned the psi to30, purged and set the psi to 12. Will this carb me up in a week. Should I set to pour at 8 psi?
Thanks Steve:tank:

Yes, 12 psi for a week should get you pretty well carbed, if your kegerator is 40 degrees or so. If you turn it down to pour, it will eventually lose carbonation and it may foam a lot as c02 breaks out of solution. My kegerator is 40 degrees, and my regulator for all of my kegs is at 12 psi for about 2.4-2.5 volumes of c02.

I think the reason the beer was pretty flat in the keg is because 3 oz of DME isn't enough to carb up 5 gallons of beer.

Thanks, I was told to cut in half what I use for bottling to naturally carb the keg. How much would be sufficient to use to let the carb naturally carb up? I just kegged a hefe and added the same amount of DME. Guess I am going to hook it up in 2 weeks to the co2 . Oh we'll live and learn.
Thanks again

Thanks, I was told to cut in half what I use for bottling to naturally carb the keg. How much would be sufficient to use to let the carb naturally carb up? I just kegged a hefe and added the same amount of DME. Guess I am going to hook it up in 2 weeks to the co2 . Oh we'll live and learn.
Thanks again

Yes, half is about right. But when you use DME to carb instead of sugar, you use a heck of a lot more since it's not 100% fermentable like sugar is.

For most batches, you'd use about 1.5 cups of DME for bottling so you'd use about .75 cups for kegging. That's one thing that I've done weirdly, I guess- I weigh everything else but not the DME for priming. 3 oz seems like less than 1/2 of what I'd typically use, and I would probably be more inclined to use a cup of it, or 6 oz by weight, in a keg.

Just a thought could I boil up 3 more oz. of DME and add it to the keg and reseal?

Just a thought could I boil up 3 more oz. of DME and add it to the keg and reseal?

Hmmm. Maybe- but opening the keg would mean loosing much of the carbonation already in there, and then you'd have to let it sit another 2-3 weeks to carb up. At this point, I'd just keep it on the gas and change it up next time.

Back