Low BTUs- pump pure O2 into the burner??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badmajon

Reaction score
Evil grin... I have a big o2 tank which is used exclusively for oxygenation which is an overkill. As I posted in my other thread, I'm not happy with the low BTUs on my LP setup. What if I pumped pure o2 into the burner? Would that kick things up a notch?

IMHO I wouldn't do that. Oxygen makes things that may not burn turn into things that burn. Yes you would probably increase the btu's but the risk far out ways the return. That is why they tell people who use oxygen never to smoke around the tank. Get a better burner before you need a new house.

IMHO I wouldn't do that. Oxygen makes things that may not burn turn into things that burn. Yes you would probably increase the btu's but the risk far out ways the return. That is why they tell people who use oxygen never to smoke around the tank. Get a better burner before you need a new house.

I too was thinking it wouldn't be a good idea, but could not explain my feelings this well.

Hmm interesting! A fan eh? I could power that with my kids 12v power wheels battery.

Please do not use O2 to hep fuel any type of fire!!!!! Your asking for big time trouble.

Best video I could find short notice. Bear in mind these things are burning without a continued addition of flame.
[ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_JkHB1hV7Hw[/ame]

Propane burner and an O2 tank...what could possibly go wrong?

disaster-girl.jpg

Please do not use O2 to hep fuel any type of fire!!!!! Your asking for big time trouble.

Best video I could find short notice. Bear in mind these things are burning without a continued addition of flame.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_JkHB1hV7Hw

Whoa. Holy $hit batman. Okay probably a bad idea, at least if not testing it outdoors and with some kind of flow back stopper to prevent a possible fire flowing back up the o2 pipe.

That being said, what is the essential difference between injecting pure o2 and using a fan like the guy did in the referenced thread?

You are not adding anything to the environment, only manipulating what is already there. That can still cause problems, but they are generally smaller and easier to predict. A small fan is relatively safe. Adding O2 is not.

Bear in mind that fire + forced air is the basis of blacksmithing / working with metal. You fire the fan up under an empty kettle and you MAY be buying a new kettle. Want to guess how I know? :)

Here is a hint:

IMG_20151031_172051412[1].jpg

Not my brightest moment!

Last edited:
That could make it a bit hotter:

Maximum neutral flame temperature of propane in oxygen is about 5112F.

The tricky part will be combining the oxygen and propane at the nozzle. Take a look an any torch and the fuel and oxygen don't get mixed till at the nozzle.

Whoa. Holy $hit batman. Okay probably a bad idea, at least if not testing it outdoors and with some kind of flow back stopper to prevent a possible fire flowing back up the o2 pipe.

That being said, what is the essential difference between injecting pure o2 and using a fan like the guy did in the referenced thread?

Most of what we breath is nitrogen. We don't breath pure O2.
From another site:
Dry air is primarily made up of nitrogen (78.09%) and oxygen (20.95%). The remaining 1% is made up of argon (0.93%), carbon dioxide (0.039% as of 2010) and other trace gases (0.003%). Water vapor (water in its gaseous state) is also present in the atmosphere in varying amounts, by up to 2%.

I looked at that thread and in post #5 he (the OP of the thread) states what's happening. The fact that there is low pressure gas supply, it's not pulling in enough ambiemt air into the burner through the Venturi. All that raw fuel is looking for a place to burn (get fresh air) so that's why you see it licking up the sides of his kettle in his video. As mentioned before, a simple blower is a great way to make it burn "hotter" however.....You can't over do it so to speak, as your kettle can only transfer so much heat before becoming overwhelmed.

I have always used the 4" high pressure burners. A lot of folks say they are loud and they don't like them. I say, tune them to the flame you have set. A simple turn on the air inlet will make them far more quiet. In fact, I could hardly hear my burners when I ran them. (I'm currently rebuilding my brew rig. Going electric)

Take care. Stay dry.

Edit:
What kind of burners do you have? Propane?

Bear in mind that fire + forced air is the basis of blacksmithing / working with metal. You fire the fan up under an empty kettle and you MAY be buying a new kettle. Want to guess how I know? :)

Here is a hint:

View attachment 313087

Not my brightest moment!

Why would anyone fire an empty kettle?

I think we've already beaten this subject dead - I'd only add that the o2 cost would quickly add up to the price of a nicer propane burner. Consider just getting one with more btus or shielding it better from the wind.

Thermic Lance comes to mind here! Really nifty tools that get REALLY HOT! As in - melt rocks hot!

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EA-VCaBUsCA[/ame]

Be careful out there guys!

Latest posts

Back