Low attenuation with wyeast PC 2002

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WI_Wino

Reaction score
I brewed up a vienna lager using wyeast 2002 and looks like I'm getting 65% apparent attenuation. I used a modified version of JZ's recipe (modified because I weighed out the wrong malts and crushed them...). Anyone have experience with this yeast strain?

OG 1.058
FG 1.020

Recipe
38% pils
38% vienna
23% munich
1% carafa II

25 IBU hallertau at 60 min
3 IBU hallertau at 10 min

Process
full volume BIAB
mashed started at 152 (kids got in the way and mash temp dropped to 142, brought it back up, did an iodine test and all starch was converted)
90 minute boil, chilled with my IC in 30 minutes or so to 50 F

I didn't do much with aeration, just splashed the wort into the fermenter from brew kettle.

Pitched a boatload of yeast. Did a 2 step starter, each step was 2L. Smack pack was two weeks old.

fermented ~ 50F for a week, bumped to 52F for a week then measured FG of 1.020 on 2/22. Measured again this morning at 54F and it's still at 1.020.

I checked it again tonight after it has slowly been warming up in the 59 F ambient temps in my basement. Gravity dropped four points to 1.016. I'm going to let it sit until Sunday then check again. Need to get this sucker lagering before it warms up outside.

Back