Low ABV ... whyyyyy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Only problem is my pathetic electric stove takes FOREVER to get up to boil (even splitting the wort into two pots and putting each on one burner). Takes long enough to heat up hot sparge water to boiling, I shudder to think of how long it would take with cold sparge water.

So. Swearing at damn grain bag burning my hands vs. brew day taking up longer and four year old waking up and grabbing stuff before I'm done, hmmm....

Ya, that's the downside of using cold water.

For some reason I'm not getting notified about quoted posts. This just happened to be at the top of the forum list or I probably would have missed it. All of my options are set correctly. Anyone else having that problem??

Only problem is my pathetic electric stove takes FOREVER to get up to boil (even splitting the wort into two pots and putting each on one burner). Takes long enough to heat up hot sparge water to boiling, I shudder to think of how long it would take with cold sparge water.

So. Swearing at damn grain bag burning my hands vs. brew day taking up longer and four year old waking up and grabbing stuff before I'm done, hmmm....

You might look for a "canning element" for your stove if it has the conventional coil elements. If it has one of the smart looking glass tops, you're screwed so plan to replace the stove with one the works. My cheap GE stove will boil 6 gallons in a reasonable amount of time.

I am sort of simple but why not add a lb of base grain to help mask the problem until you figure it out, at least you will be above 3%. After you figure it out your beer is only 4.5%. Sorry I am tipsy at the moment. A lb of grain is less than 2 dollars.:drunk:

I pour from the brew pot through a funnel into the carboy, then shake the **** out of it. Suggestions for enhancing that technique are welcome.

Is it normal I have particles in the bottle after a week even after cold crash and using gelatin?

Is it normal I have particles in the bottle after a week even after cold crash and using gelatin?

Are you talking about the individual bottles after bottling with priming sugar? Or are you talking about the fermenter? And are you talking about sediment accumulating at the bottom, or particles still floating around in suspension?

Are you talking about the individual bottles after bottling with priming sugar? Or are you talking about the fermenter? And are you talking about sediment accumulating at the bottom, or particles still floating around in suspension?

for each individual bottles and floating particles in suspension and also in the bottom. Im not as worried for trub in the bottom.

Back