Love PID wiring help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KrazyApe

Reaction score
Ihave been working on my Brutus build for a few weeks now and think I am down to the last part but now find myself stuck with the Love question! The question is, I went with the Love PID's rather than the small Love controllers (not sure why - probably my mistake) that Lonnie Mac uses. I suppose I thought it would be nice to have the set temp and the current temp displayed on one screen. So now I'm a bit confused. The PID's have lots of connection points on the back. I think I've figured out the power and thermocouple, but connecting to my Asco valves is confusing. Do I run both positive and negative from the PID directly to the Asco? I've checked the Dwyer site for the Love PID's and also checked this forum but it seems most of the questions relate to the smaller Love controllers. Looking for any help I can get otherwise my anticipated brew may be a quick trip to 7-11. Thanks much!

image-2602977498.jpg

Thanks for the quick comment :)

The front of the Love says "Series 16c" but I don't see a model number and couldn't find one online. I've attached a photo of the back. Sure glad my favorite tool is a hammer.

BigSally, thanks for the link ... That's helpful. I'm pretty sure the number 1 and 2 slots need to be wired directly to the Asco (or do they?). That's where I'm confused and not even sure how to test the system. #1 shows a negative (-) symbol while #2 shows a positive (+). I'm a little like one of those hammers .... Full of confusion as to why so few options. I've seen lots of other post pics where these PID's are used but just need a simple diagram, if that exists.

Well,I use the 4010 controller and the no and nc connections function as a switch.By that I mean that you run your hot through the COM and your output through either the normally open or normally closed depending.Also with the controller I use you have to specify whether you're using it as a heater or a cooler as it applies to the action you want according to the set temperature.I might be confusing you here( I'm a little confused by now myself)
Let me know when you want me to stop "helping" you.

Anyone know where #'s 1,2 or 15 go? I'm not sure which one turns the Asco valve on and off?? Thanks!

image-1320102123.jpg

The outputs appears to be pins 1 to 2 (at least - and perhaps 6 to 7 as well). Wire through a low voltage transformer secondary in the loop to the valve coil and back.

Pin 15 is the common for the Alarm functions.

Cheers!

[edit] Just looked at the pin diagram on page 6, lower left corner, and the above is correct except pins 6 & 7 are unused...

Day_Trippr, thanks for the info. It looks like I was able to wire it correctly but as I was going through the settings, I changed something that said "volt" and saw some sparks. Good thing because now I may name this wonderful brew idea "Sparky's". Anyone know if the factory settings will work okay on this. I wasn't sure if I needed to change the variance, etc... BTW, it's for my Brutus build and only fires the Asco's. Thanks and a free 6-pack of Sparky's Batch One, "Volt" to those who have helped.

If you want to send a signal to your asco's then I would assume you would attach a contactor or ssr to 1 and 2.I went through all the menu settings and did not see a volt .But, if you just want to turn a pump on and off,then hook up a relay to 1 and 2 and adjust the temp trigger and hysterisis(lag)and it will run the pump while it's in the target temp range.Your ssr should be able to accept 14vdc and control 120vac or 240 vac depending on your ascos requirements

I must apologize,I now see I might be full of crap.It looks to me like it kicks out 14volts dc on 1 and 2 and you could drive an ssr or relay off of that but the amps are not much.I could potenially be inebriated.

It looks like I was able to wire it correctly but as I was going through the settings, I changed something that said "volt" and saw some sparks.[...]

That might not be good. It appears the output configuration varies with the model designation. What we know so far is "16C", but if you look at page 3 of your user manual, the next character specifies the output type.

What you want is a model "16C3" which specifies a relay, but you may have a model "16C2" or "16C6", both of which put voltage on the output pins.

I can see the "16C" in the pic you posted, but I can't make out that last character...

Cheers!

The marking on the Love controller says 16CO. I really thought the use of these would be fairly simple. I know they are overkill for what I'm using them for (after looking at all the setting configs). All I really wanted them to do was work like the smaller, single display Love's. Is it possible I need an SSR also? Here is another couple of pics:

image-976635258.jpg

image-1488207502.jpg

image-1082819682.jpg

Latest posts

Back