LOVE Hate! - Shafted by Dwyer direct for controller purchase

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SankePankey

Reaction score
I was surprised by the rogering I got ordering 2 LOVE controllers direct from Dwyer because I had read nothing but praise from this site about them. I think they are sexy, for sure, but I have never witnessed it this bad ordering from a company's website.

So, I ordered a TS2 for my keezer, a TSS2 for my fermentation chamber and two probes (both TS-6). My one probe didn't fit in my thermowell, so I called back and ordered a TS-1 probe @ $6. When you order from the website, there is a check box asking if you want to hold orders until complete meaning that they won't ship separately. I though "hey, I don't care.. ship it how you want, just as long as I get them eventually" There is nothing at all about shipping and handling (apparently unless you click some sort of fine print link) in the final tally before you confirm your order. Nothing in the confirmation email they send you after you pay. Nothing on the invoice in the box.

I ordered the other probe, then, separately after talking to tech support.

After you get everything, they send you a bill in the mail. I was charged $29 S/H for the first boxes that were shipped separately (but came to me on the same day) and $14.50 S/H for the $6 probe. WTF!!!!!:confused:

I then called Cole-Parmer to see what they would charge for S/H for the same order and got like $10. However, their prices are much higher for the products. The whole order came within a dollar of the Dwyer order with the huge S/H fee. The TSS2 from Dwyer was $65 and from Cole Parmer was $92. Probes from CP were just under double than Dwyer.

Long story short.... if you are going to order from Dwyer direct, better make sure you check that damned check box that says to put it all in one shipment. And if you're not sure about the size probes you need, it would be cheaper to order every probe they make than it would to reorder another one. $14.50 S/H for a $6 probe? UPS Ground?:mad: What a racket job. Boooooo!

Just thought you should know. I'd try to buy elsewhere if you can even if it's more $- wouldn't support that crap.

After some f*#^@%#*$*@(@^#(&#@-ing at CS supervisor, they credited some of the S/H.

Just got the call back after posting. Still, check that check box.

simmah down now, simmah down. Sorry for jumping the posting gun.

They screwed me on shipping as well. Not enough $$$ to waste my time fighting it but enough to keep me from being a future customer.

Keep in mind fellas, just take the black vinyl off of the probe with a small file or sandpaper and they fit any thermowell just fine...

Bought my LOVE from Cole Palmer. MY only complaint is the 85 pound catalog they send me :D which is pretty cool to look through and helps with fires in the fire pit:)

Bought my LOVE from Cole Palmer. MY only complaint is the 85 pound catalog they send me :D which is pretty cool to look through and helps with fires in the fire pit:)

Ha! I forgot about that. When the UPS falla handed me the box I about freaked out at the weight. I thought I had bought a box of bricks!

Dwyer is an industrial supply place. Invoicing the shipping and handling is standard. I am sorry you didn't know, but if you didn't know what the shipping would be you should have asked. I have dealt with Dwyer several times and always found them to be helpful and very fairly priced.

While they might be correct...it would be in their best interest to make a big not of that on the Order Conformation within their website.

The company I work for started invoicing separately for S&H after we changed our SIP system...and it was hell dealing with all the calls coming in complaining about extra charges.

And the phrase "That's just how we do things" doesn't really fly when you want the customer to come back.

Dwyer is an industrial supply place. Invoicing the shipping and handling is standard. I am sorry you didn't know, but if you didn't know what the shipping would be you should have asked. I have dealt with Dwyer several times and always found them to be helpful and very fairly priced.

Yes, I understand, but in every other purchase I have made online anywhere, there is a tally of your order including all other charges right next to the button that says 'confirm order'. In the 21st century, I think that's pretty reasonable to expect from anyone including an industrial supply company- but I'll admit I haven't purchased much from those kind of companies. Basically, it's a shame on their website programmer, IMO. I can't believe they don't get tons of calls about this, like Jay said.

I will say that they did correct the problem for me to an acceptable extent (right after I hit the post buttom :eek: I got a call from a supervisor). I still think people should know to make sure they click and read the 'fine print' tab as well as check the 'hold order till complete' box. That's pretty important, eh? I hadn't read anything at all about that here, which is why I posted about it.
I mean, $45 is like 55lb bag of grain and could make a lot of beer.:mug:

And, my thermowell ended up being too small for my probe, so scraping won't work, because the size I quoted to the welder was taken as outside diameter in stead of inside diameter. I didn't realize that needed to be stipulated since everything else (like beer line, gas line) you pay for that something goes inside of is rated for the ID (except a lady:D).

And the phrase "That's just how we do things" doesn't really fly when you want the customer to come back.

It's probably reasonable to think that Dwyer doesn't care if a customer ordering a few items once a year comes back, that customer is not part of their business model.

It's reasonable to expect a different experience from an industrial supplier and a retailer. In this day and age of the internet retail customers can sometimes find good deals ordering from outlets that normally serve different customers, and those outlets may accommodate them via their normal practices, but you have to expect a different experience.

and very fairly priced.

I also thought that is was interesting that they give their distributors the same pricing that they give end users that purchase their products for shipping/handling too. Is that how all industrial supply places work? You'd think they'd give Cole Parmer a break of some sort on shipping for selling tons of their controllers... Whatev..?

And, anyways, as a person who does a ton of research before I buy anything, I was under the impression that the dual stage Ranco's were a bunch more expensive than a LOVE, but with the extra s/h, they are more about the same.

Some things are ID, some are OD. Always check when you are not familiar with the parts.

Edit
Spanky- You can also assume that you are NOT getting distributor pricing. You are getting the "retail" tier.

Yes, definitely, now I know. I didn't even think of it before ordering, rather than just that I made an assumption. Doh!

Yeah, but did you read what I said before about Cole Parmer's pricing? Assuming they are charging the same markup that Dwyer is charging for 'retail' tier, then the price they are getting from Dwyer for S/H pretty much equates exactly within a dollar of the price I got 'retail'. 2 LOVE controllers and 2 probes was $177 from Dwyer including a $30 s/h and tax. Same order from CP was $178 including a $10 S/H and tax. So they are marking up for a heavy s/h charge from dwyer the same as I got, if I'm interpreting that right.

Probes from CP were ~$11 and $6 @ Dwyer. The TSS2 was $92 from CP and $65 from Dwyer. The TS2 was the same price. The TSS2 was a special order and they had the TS2. So, apparently they are getting charged rediculous s/h from Dwyer for an order that isn't 1000 units. (I mean, c'mon the box is like .5 lb.)

I'm gonna order from Drillspot.com next time I need a love controller. Looks like the prices are pretty good. You have to make sure that the box comes with and rtd.

Also, that BCS460 ( automated box, love controller on steroids) from embedded control concepts sells thermowells and probes. Their probes wont work on a Love controller though but the size the well and probe are small. Perfect for a Brutus.

It's probably reasonable to think that Dwyer doesn't care if a customer ordering a few items once a year comes back, that customer is not part of their business model.

The customer should ALWAYS be part of the business model.

Otherwise that guy that really needs 100k of those controllers order one as a spec sample from their website and have a bad experience...

That will free up a seat in the office fast

The customer should ALWAYS be part of the business model.

Otherwise that guy that really needs 100k of those controllers order one as a spec sample from their website and have a bad experience...

That will free up a seat in the office fast

You said it, brother.

I am one of those people who give unsolicited praise times 10 to vendors who treat me right and sell me products I'm happy to own when they show up at the door (hence my unsolicited reviews of some products on this forum) in the hopes they enjoy better business. I am also the person whose company's CS office rues the day they ever heard my name should they treat me poorly and act indifferent to the business I am trying to give them. Those sentiments carry into future patronage that dwarf my 'end user' level should I ever get there. I never forget.

Trust me, I'm a salesman. I get the same treatment from my customers and 98.4% of them love doing business with me (and me as a person). The other ones, well, I don't want their business. Not that I treat them poorly, but I just never solicit it again... same principle. All business is a 'relationship' business.

Having said that, Dwyer did end up treating me well and I will continue to patronize them in the future gladly, but I will make sure to 'check that box' at checkout. So should anyone reading this.

Back