Love Golf?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_1234.jpg

Thats pretty cool. I only saw pros play once at castle pines invitational. Man they pure it.

I played Bethpage just before they closed it down for the last US Open. Then went down to watch it. Played with a weekly group of guys from Queens. I played the back tees but it wasn't the same length played by the pros. The rough was deeper than tournament conditions. The locals said they've never seen it so thick and overseeded. They cut it down for the tournament. It was a long and fun day.

We went to the PGA Friday and Saturday and it worked out really well. Got there really early both days.

On Friday we watched a lot of groups come through the 14th green (par 4), the 6th green (par 3) and walked most of the front nine. Didn't see a lot of big names but we got a good feel for the course and how we were going to watch Saturday. By luck we left about an hour before the rain came out of nowhere and ended the day.

Then we came back early early early on Saturday and easily got seats in the top row of the grandstands on the 18th green. We were able to watch all the big names make the turn onto 10 and also finish their 2nd round. Then for the start of the 3rd round we headed out to the 3rd green (par 3) and watched a bunch of groups come through before we decided the place wasn't fit for human life support. It was hotter than hell, there were so many people you couldn't move around, and the line for water was 2 hours long.

If Tiger can get that driver straightened out, he'll be contending every week. Can't expect to hit close out of the rough and trees all the time.
I haven't gotten out in a couple years. having a 3 year old will do that... can't be spending 4 hours on a course with the little guy waiting around. I am planning on playing in a couple weeks - be heading out to Kelowna BC for a family wedding. My brother, dad and I want to hit the links one morning. I should probably try to sneak out to a driving range this weekend to at least get an idea back of hitting at full tilt...

Agree, koepka played amazing. Was fun to watch. That shot on 16, wow. If thats the future the little man is out, no? Wonder if a shorter course gives everyone more equitable chance.

You played bethpage from the back. Wow. Whats it like?

The locals I played with were really helpful. There were some tee shots that all you saw was tall grass and had to aim for distant trees. One I remember in particular was one that Phil drove into a bunker. The hole next to the Nathan's hot dog stand :) I did the same thing. The bunkers are huge. He chipped out backwards I tried for the green and failed.

It is a long course. The back tees I played were probably 300 yds shorter than the open but the rough and reseeding wasn't mowed yet for the pros so the rough was wicked. Luckly I used my GPS to walk to the point were my ball SHOULD be and did a 10yd circle to finally find it. I still lost 3 balls and shot 91. I was betting with the locals. On one par 5 I was about to declare a lost ball when I almost stepped on my ball 1' from the green. Very easy to loose balls.

18th hole I hit 3i off the tee to a small island of grass in a bunker. Everyone agreed we should find it. The diameter of the grassy island was no bigger than 10' wide. We didn't find it and I had to do the walk of shame back up the hill to rehit.

It took 6hrs to play. The subtleties of the course is I was hitting the ball long but the room of error is small and you run off the fairway often. The greens also have very small breaks I couldn't see. They seemed concave so I just couldnt see the breaks. A lot of 3 putts

I think I didn't get a par until the 7th hole.

Best shot was on the first hole tee. There's the warning sign saying u should not be here. An auditorium ring of people watching you. There were a bunch of Japanese tourists taking photos of everyone teeing off. I smashed my drive 40yds from the hole. I accidently pulled it (lefty) and my playing partner asked if I was trying to drive the green. I straight faced said trying to get close. I was under a tree and chipped to the back of the rough and was afraid to pull out the flop shot and bogeyed.

I'll never forget that trip.

Last edited:
Awesome dude. Nice write up. Thanks. My friend used to joke about this course here, do we have to play here? Loved to play it but damn.

IMG_2505.jpg
47th annual Fudge open scramble.
If you can’t get the second shot close you don’t score well.
We didn’t!
-4 under 71

I'm focusing really hard right now and working on using the bounce of the wedge. I don't know why I've been trying to use the Leading Edge but the bounce give so much more forgiveness. Check out Stan Utley talking about pitching, or Rodger Cleveland. Cleveland seems very strong in his belief that the Leading Edge should rarely be used. When done correctly and with the right bounce for the situation I can hit behind the ball and pitch it nicely. No wonder I've been nervous when pitching, any error has been horrible if leading edge digs.

Awesome wildginger. Have you been out hitting any lately? I havent, sucks. I do aligment work sometimes.

How are the courses down there. So many awesome golfers are from Texas. Would love to play there and drink pianomans killer beer while chilling in the pool. Bbq for tournaments as lunch? Wow, come to think of it I could probably kill two birds with one stone by tasting great Texas barbecue and golfing at the same time. Have to remember that one has as a good excuse for the wife :) Here its spicey breakfast burritos.I havent played in 1 month? This is probably the longest I've Gone without hitting balls in 10 years without being injured. So, have some fun for me too!

Meant to post this a couple of weeks ago from my trip to Sugarloaf ME. Great area including Rangeley. Kind of on the border of nowhere at least to me because I know after here there really is wilderness.

I had time off from work and the forecast was for a heatwave at home. I decided to take a vacation and disappear. The forecast up there was 70. The first night it got down to 40! So it was a little nippy in the bar with the door open.

The front nine is a good challenge. Not a resort course at the beginning. Doesn't allow you to push or take risks. I decided to drink near the end of the front nine and played a lot better on the back. I think the back was more easier tho. Greens were a little slow but we have been having so much rain it's been difficult to cut the grass.

If you ever want to get away this was fun. People running the course were great. Clubhouse and food great. A lot of ski people are still around during the off season working in the area so it's really laid back.

I may head up again for the foliage. One way goes thru NH White mountains and the other route goes thru beer and food Portland. The Applachian trail runs all over this place.

Here's some pix. That big rock in the river? Zoom in for perspective of the golf balls on top. The green with the rock outcropping shows my shot from 170yds and birdie par 4. Almost drove the par 4 in pic #4 but hit the lip of the trap on the front. The guys on the right got the message as they slowly walked onto the green. The beer loosened me up :)
IMG_20180907_112258.jpeg
IMG_20180907_123227.jpeg
IMG_20180907_124706-1.jpeg
IMG_20180907_132226.jpeg
IMG_20180907_135245.jpeg
IMG_20180907_135513.jpeg
IMG_20180907_135518.jpeg
IMG_20180907_143720.jpeg
IMG_20180907_143731.jpeg
IMG_20180907_143955.jpeg
IMG_20180907_145949.jpeg
IMG_20180907_134300-1.jpeg

Last edited:
Hahaha i played weekend before last. First time in 2 weeks. Putted like crap. I live in north tx. Therea good bbq here but further south os where the big name joints are. I play 5 or 6 courses regularly that are really nice. Some better than others but most are in good shape right now. The massive rains over the last few weeks have a couple under water but for the most part, green and lush right now. The tourny Mon is at The Tribute. LPGA played a tourny there a couple months ago. Cant wait to play it. Should be in awesome shape.

Pianomans? Never heard of it. Where is it brewed?

Thats beautiful man. Thanks. Hope to get out there some day. Breathtaking. Seems like you are on the tips. Looks like a huge shot to that green. Looks tough.

Pianoman is a member, golfer, awesome guy, voracious brewer and purveyor of great beers, well pretty much describes you all. Thought he was on this thread, need to pm him. Would love to get down there and chill with you guys, play some golf. And go to pint house pizza for some electric jellyfish.

One tee box left behind me. The slope and ratings pretty high for a resort course. I played pretty well but Everytime I tried to push it I got punished. Yet it was the first time playing and there were some blind shots. Only went up for the weekend but it was instant decompression. So many other things to do there.

My bartender/greenskeeper recommended this par 3 course instead of hitting the range before the round. Guy created a par 3 course on his land for the heck of it. There's a wood barrel for donations on the first tee. Laid back...

IMG_2743.JPG
IMG_2744.JPG

Played Lazy Swan in Saugerties NY.
Shot 91, which is a few strokes over handicap.
My wrists kept breaking and causing me to slice.
The rough was fought (easily foot high).
Fair was wet and felt like I was using a shovel instead of an iron.

Would love to try the course again, especially when I haven’t been drinking since 8 am!

All this rain in Dallas has killed my game. Havent played a real round in almost 2 months. A real round being not cart path only and sloppy conditions. Played in a cart path only tourny Wed. Course wasnt too bad but had some bad spots. Hit like crap. Slicing my drives and long irons. Short game was really good though. Playing tomorrow. Hasnt rained in Houston in a few days so maybe the course will be OK down here.

Last edited:
My short game has been money. Not sure why, but I won't complain.

Stayed in Houston over the weekend. Beautiful, sunny day on Sunday. Got out and played. Three holes had some slop but other than that, it was in pretty good shape. First 4 holes were rough, but then I started getting back into a groove. Shot a 51 on the front and a 45 on the back. All things considered, I was pretty happy. Putting avg was 1.6 putts per hole. Sunk a 40' for birdie. And it was a course I had never played before. I just need to get back to consistently playing again. Time off does not do my game any good.

Been a rough couple of months. Tourney on Monday was cancelled. Tourney on Wed was cart path only and rainy. I have another one this Mon I'm hoping doesn't get rained out and another on Nov 12. Sometimes I love my job!

Finally got out. It has been soooo long. Maybe a month or more. Funny story, I doubled the first a fairly easy and reachable par 5. It was jfk course in Denver. Had 240 in, and thought I would just cozy one up and play from there. Hit 3w into trees and doubled! Later, I pulled that 3w and noticed a rock hard dried mud lump on it from the range the day before. Dang it, if it isnt one thing, its another. Doubled first hole and last, but only four bogeys inbetween. At least two of them were gir that I flubbed the first putt. I have noticed that when people dont play much they can hit irons and drivers, but putting distance touch seems off. Thats what happened to me. My lag putting was way off and I was leaving way to long of par putts to make. Even with good shots I was making three putt bogeys. Hit the 210 yard par 3 in the air with a 4iron. That was pretty cool, I usually just slap skull one up there.

Argh. Got a case of trigger finger on my right pinky right after my birthday. Still (2 months later) can't grip properly. Haven't swung a club. Got invited to play at Innisbrook (copperhead course) this week but can't. Waah.
Sucks to get old, huh Passed? :) Hope it heals soon.

Finally got out. It has been soooo long. Maybe a month or more. Funny story, I doubled the first a fairly easy and reachable par 5. It was jfk course in Denver. Had 240 in, and thought I would just cozy one up and play from there. Hit 3w into trees and doubled! Later, I pulled that 3w and noticed a rock hard dried mud lump on it from the range the day before. Dang it, if it isnt one thing, its another. Doubled first hole and last, but only four bogeys inbetween. At least two of them were gir that I flubbed the first putt. I have noticed that when people dont play much they can hit irons and drivers, but putting distance touch seems off. Thats what happened to me. My lag putting was way off and I was leaving way to long of par putts to make. Even with good shots I was making three putt bogeys. Hit the 210 yard par 3 in the air with a 4iron. That was pretty cool, I usually just slap skull one up there.
Nice.

Tourney yesterday went off without a hitch. It was cart path only though. Dallas Athletic Club. Really nice course. We shot 7 under. My driver is starting to come back buy my irons are still hit and miss. Hoping to play Sat and Sun as the weather in Dallas is supposed to be nice.

Ugh, its been so long for me. Im pissed at my lack of motivation. A litttle freezing drizzle and 37 degrees would have been awesome today. Seriously, greens would hold, no one out there, and with a cart cover and my heater would have been long sleeve and golf shirt. Heater is coleman golf cat. Have used it for years. We have played in snow and also lots of golf in courses that say they are open, but plan on losing a lot of balls. Also roll into a snow bank and it kills distance. Never cared for playing with rock hard greens. Have to bring drill or hammer just to get tee in. Also hurts back, its like hitting off concrete. I usually just break very end of wood tee and use sharp angle left, to drive tee in a millimeter or two. Have actually had some good winter rounds as I can putt from anywhere, hiding my average short game.

Back